I was having a discussion today with a couple of friends about BlackBerry10 and it’s advancements since the QNX acquisition years ago to which their confused expressions were followed by “what’s QNX?” After a lot of explaining and searching the internet to provide videos and demonstrations so that they could get a better understanding I came across a more recent run from February the 5th of this year. What caught my eye was a demonstration for the D.I.D or Driver Information Display so I decided to revisit the QNX topic once again and provide the video as well. You can also view this information for yourself here on the QNX website.
What Is the QNX Car Platform for Infotainment?
The QNX CAR Platform for Infotainment is a unique set of pre-integrated and optimized technologies from QNX Software Systems and dozens of ecosystem partners. Designed for flexibility, this unique platform provides development teams with a variety of options for building reliable world-class infotainment systems that keep pace with ongoing advancements in mobile device markets.
In General the QNX CAR Platform for Infotainment includes a wide array of QNX technologies: the QNX Neutrino realtime OS; a powerful mobile connectivity framework; a best-in-class acoustic echo cancellation and noise reduction hands-free solution; an HMI framework supporting Qt, HTML5 and other native UI toolsets; and different app environments.
To this, they’ve added automotive hardening for crash resiliency, embedded optimization, and fast booting.
With support for HTML5, Qt, and industry-standard .apk apps executing alongside the built-in HMI, the QNX CAR Platform supports the industry’s broadest cross-platform mobile development environments, allowing OEMs to leverage a variety of apps from the consumer electronics space.
What are it’s benefits?
The QNX CAR Platform for Infotainment offers a low-risk path for building reliable and compelling connected products that improve the bottom line. For instance, with the same code base, customers can target entry to high-end platforms, leveraging their development efforts across the multiple programs. This helps to improve the revenue-to-cost balance and reduce project risk while enabling rapid development of high quality infotainment systems.
Reduced project risks
- Fast proof of concept designs and ready-to-use prototype development platforms
- Clean IP (intellectual property)
- Visibility into QNX CAR Platform roadmap and innovations
- Open ecosystem philosophy for supplier independence
Reduced costs and new revenues
- Out-of-the-box, pre-integrated reference implementations that are easily productized
- New sources of revenue for OEMs — services, app store
- Reusable software assets
- Scalability — the same software solution for low to high-end systems
- Simple business model — free software during prototyping and pre-integrated third-party evaluation software
Compelling products, rapid development
- Early access to leading-edge technologies
- Visually rich HMIs and a customizable environment
- Reliable, responsive user experience
- Industry-leading support for connectivity to the latest mobile devices, standards, and apps for automotive
- Internet connectivity
- Upgradeability — downloadable software updates for in-field apps and firmware
Sales and marketing opportunities
Partner companies who join the QNX CAR Platform ecosystem can participate in joint QNX CAR marketing and sales initiatives, and can contribute products to the QNX CAR reference implementations. As part of these reference implementations, their products will go out to all QNX CAR Platform automotive tier-one and OEM members — a large and ever-increasing audience.
QNX works with partners in its large ecosystem to offer the best possible foundation for building vehicle infotainment systems, as well as to help OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers reduce costs and time to market. Technologies provided by partners include:
The Weather Network
Cambridge Silicon Radio
|Automotive connectivity||Vector Informatik|
|Voice recognition||AT&T Watson
|HMI and frameworks||Altia
|Software updates||Red Bend Software|
(codecs & databases)
|Graphics and displays||Imagination Group