Nov 13, 2014
Waterloo, ON – BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a global leader in mobile communications, announced today the availability of BES12™: a cross-platform EMM solution by BlackBerry® that securely manages devices from all of the major enterprise mobile platforms. BES12 is the foundation for BlackBerry’s extensive portfolio of enterprise security, productivity, and communication and collaboration services that will help organizations securely connect employees with each other and with the corporate information and machines that are required to get their jobs done.
BlackBerry also announced a new partnership with Samsung where BES12 will manage a wide range of Samsung KNOX smartphones and tablets. The companies will work together in regulated industries and with government customers.
BES12 simplifies the task of mobilizing an organization by providing a single command and control center for managing the availability and usage of devices, apps, activities and mission-critical data. The breadth of capabilities offered by BES12 is why organizations such as Home Hardware and American Crane recognize it as their preferred cross-platform EMM.
“American Crane trusts BlackBerry’s long-standing reputation in mobile security and having had the opportunity to pilot BES12 in our virtual environment for some time now, we’re especially impressed by how simple it is to use, and how easy it has been to migrate users over,” said Denny Bono, IT Manager, Corporate Headquarters, American Crane & Equipment Corporation. “Our employees appreciate the flexibility of being able to use the device that’s most comfortable for them, and ?the interface is more intuitive and easy to support? from an IT perspective.”
Bombardier also showed their support for BES12. “We trust in BlackBerry’s long-standing reputation in mobile security and realize that’s why the world’s most eminent organizations and governments depend on their mobility platform,” said Jean Pierre Bourbonnais, Vice-President and CIO at Bombardier. “As mobile computing continues to redefine business and empower employees to collaborate, transact and innovate in entirely new ways, we are confident that BES12 will help simplify the way mobility is managed. And the ability to extend BlackBerry’s security across multiple device platforms, including Windows Phone, iOS and Android, is of particular interest to us as we are managing complex BYOD environments.”
The Most Comprehensive EMM
According to a global study released today (1), highly regulated organizations lack confidence that data is fully protected. For example, 76 percent say the risk of legal liability and costly lawsuits will increase unless organizations make a concerted effort to adopt a comprehensive enterprise mobility management strategy. This is no longer an issue that is solely the concern of the CIO’s organization; it is now elevated to the agenda of the Risk Management and Governance Committees with Boards of Directors.
This type of risk is why BES12 provides expanded EMM capabilities that can manage any mobile device usage model such as BYOD, COPE and COBO, and leverages BlackBerry’s trusted global infrastructure. In fact, BlackBerry was named a Leader and achieved the top score in EMM strategy in the Forrester Wave: Enterprise Mobile Management, Q3 2014(2).
The BES12 platform seamlessly supports iOS, Android™, Windows Phone®, BlackBerry® 10 and BlackBerry® OS. The flexibility and scalability of the new BES12 architecture will allow customers to move easily and securely from on-premise environments to various cloud models, including private, public and hybrid(3). Key BES12 features include:
- Comprehensive Cross-Platform EMM: Provides complete management and security for devices, applications and company data across all platforms and all tiers of device ownership and deployment models.
- End-to-End Security: Leverages advanced encryption, containerization, application wrapping and BlackBerry’s secure global network infrastructure. Provides end-to-end platform-level security that keeps an organization’s data safe and secure while in transit and at rest.
- Scalable Architecture: Scalable up to 25,000 devices per server and 150,000 devices per domain. BES12 is designed to reduce deployment cost and complexity and ensure maximum uptime with support for active-active high availability.
- Streamlined User Experience: Enables administrators to holistically manage all users, devices, policies and profiles natively, from one easy-to-use unified console. A new attribute-driven, endpoint management model enables more flexible management of devices, applications and data. Comprehensive reporting and dashboards simplify the management of complex fleets of devices.
- Industry Leading Total Cost of Ownership: In 2014, Strategy Analytics found that in multi-platform enterprise mobility management, BES10 offered the highest level of security with the lowest 5 year cost of ownership(4). BlackBerry highlights that with BES12, the TCO savings go even further.
- Design for the Internet of Things: BES12 is the first BES platform that will extend beyond smartphones and tablets to support the management of things, including medical diagnostic equipment, industrial machinery and automobiles.
- Global Support: All BES12 subscriptions include industry leading BlackBerry Technical Support Services to help manage the complexity and demanding requirements of mobility and evolving EMM strategies.
“Orange is glad to see BlackBerry come back with a new strategy focused on the B2B market enabled by BES12. This EMM solution leverages the strengths of our network, and completely meets the challenges of our enterprise customers as they implement their digital transformation,” said Valérie Cussac, VP Mobile Enterprise, Orange.
Advanced EMM Services
BES12 is the “central nervous system” of a powerful environment that brings together mobile devices, apps, cloud services and mobile operator services. Companies can extend their EMM capabilities with integrated communication and collaboration tools such as BBM™ Protected and new identity and access solutions. These other value-added services that complement the EMM environment include:
- Enterprise Identity by BlackBerry® : Will simplify secure access to cloud based services with a single point of entitlement, control and audit for all cloud app.
- VPN Authentication by BlackBerry®: Will provide the option of eliminating the need for employee passwords or PINs and hardware tokens, improving the productivity of mobile workers reducing overall costs.
- BBM™ Meetings: Provides a mobile-first collaboration app that provides a new way to work smarter and be more productive on BlackBerry and Android devices as well as connecting with users on a Windows® PC or Mac.
- BlackBerry® Blend for Enterprise: Makes it possible for employees to conveniently and securely access personal and work data from their BlackBerry smartphone on any device. BlackBerry Blend revolutionizes IT administration by shifting from managing devices to managing information movement.
- WorkLife by BlackBerry®: Will allow enterprises to easily add a separate corporate phone number to personal devices brought in by their employees or for the employee to add a separate personal phone number to a corporate-liable device provided by the company. Work usage of voice, SMS and data will be charged to the company while all other usage is charged directly to the employee, with no need to file and process expense reports or pay stipends. The solution will cover voice, SMS and data and will operate while in the home network as well as in roaming situations.
“Boards of Directors are asking management teams to reevaluate their enterprise mobility strategies as major concerns over corporate security breaches are becoming more prevalent, resulting in significant economic and reputational losses for companies,” said John Sims, President, Global Enterprise Services, BlackBerry. “BlackBerry security is the best in the industry and BES12 is built on the proven BlackBerry security and sophisticated encryption that our customers know and trust. BlackBerry pioneered the capability to securely manage smartphones within the enterprise. Now, with these new value-added services, we’re focusing on taking our offering beyond EMM to enable customers to solve real security and productivity challenges associated with the use of mobile technology across their enterprise.”
Availability and Pricing
Since the EZ Pass migration program launched on March 31, 2014, customers worldwide have registered for five million BES client access licenses. More than 30 percent of these licenses have been traded in from competitors’ MDM platforms since the programed launched. The BlackBerry EZ Pass migration program is designed to help customers take full advantage of the BES12 cross-platform EMM solution by seamlessly migrating from BES5 or BES10 and includes access to BlackBerry’s technical support services. Enterprises will be able to upgrade to BES12 free of charge through this offer. To take advantage of the BlackBerry EZ Pass migration program, visit: www.blackberry.com/ezpass.
BlackBerry is offering a new BES subscription pricing structure with the launch of BES12. BES12 Annual Subscriptions include BlackBerry’s world class support delivered globally by the BlackBerry Technical Support Service (BTSS) team. For more information on BlackBerry’s enterprise mobility management solutions, BES12 and pricing, visit www.blackberry.com/bes12.
(1) BlackBerry and Loudhouse Research, “Mobility Risk Tolerance,” September 2014.
(2) Forrester Research, Inc. ” The Forrester Wave™: Enterprise Mobile Management, Q3 2014, ” by Christian Kane and Tyler Shields, September 30, 2014.
(3) Private cloud today, and public cloud and hybrid architecture coming soon.
(4) Strategy Analytics. “Enterprise Mobility Management: A review of Total Cost of Ownership,” May 8, 2014.
(5) Available later this year.