Phone Catches Fire, Injures User Aboard Air Canada Flight

The flight still flew, after a 2 hour delay.

An Air Canada flight leaving Pearson International Airport suffered a delay this morning after a passenger’s phone burst into flames prior to takeoff. The fire was quickly extinguished by the fast acting crew, but not before the user suffered burns to her hands that required medical treatment.

The passenger was able to walk off the plane herself, with no assistance. She was then treated for burns to her hand by paramedics and transported to Etobicoke General Hospital.

Luckily, the fire was “very contained” and after a two hour delay, the flight was able to take off to it’s destination.

In case you’re wondering, this time the phone was not an iPhone. Instead, it was a currently unknown model of LG. Unlike Apple’s iPhone, LG has not had a history of exploding, which just goes to show that any thing powered by lithium ion batteries have the potential of exploding should the battery become damaged. Some are just more prone to it than others.

We can assume orange juice was not used to extinguish the fire like in the last incident of a lithium ion powered device catching fire aboard a plane.

Air Canada

source: CBC

Brad

Founder & Owner of UTB Blogs. Former BlackBerry Elite. When I'm not talking or writing about BlackBerry, you'll find me using my BlackBerry.

Top