The BB10 browser has always shipped with built-in support for the most popular search engines: Google, Bing and Yahoo!, but lots of users prefer to use DuckDuckGo, or some other search engine.
Not surprisingly, BlackBerry thought of those users. The superb BB10 browser has a function that allows users to add search engines, and set those added search engines as defaults. The one caveat, is that not all search engines can be added. I haven’t been able to find out why, so if you know why, do let us know. :-)
Here’s how you do it.
- Load the search engine page into the browser.
- Tap on the overflow menu (the 3 vertical dots)
- Select Add Search in the overflow popup menu. If you don’t see an Add Search option, then that search engine is not supported.
- Tap Add in the Add Search screen
- Verify that the search engine has been added to the list by typing a search term and then tapping the search engine pulldown in the top right-hand corner of the screen. It should appear at the bottom of the list.
- Tap on the newly added search engine to make it the default. A checkmark will appear to the right of the search engine to indicate that it’s the default.
And that’s it ! If you want to remove a search engine, just long-press the engine in the search engine pulldown list, and select Delete in the right-hand menu.