Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Check for updates"
I have my first unlocked device (in a really long time), and now I have some questions regarding updates:

Should I expect updates to be pushed to my device from BlackBerry now instead of waiting on the carrier?

When I tap 'check for updates', where is the check coming from? Carrier? BB?

Does the SIM need to be removed in order to get the updates?

I plan to continue researching this stuff on my own, but I'm also looking to some of the knowledgeable folks around here as well.

Thanks!!

From what I've read, SIM card is for your Passport on AT&T, you should get updates from AT&T.
You could test it with and without the SIM card.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
Thank you! That was a test I was planning on running. But, popping off the back of the Passport to get to the SIM card was a step I was hoping to avoid.

See thread I am.. Official upgrade available from Rogers Canada.
You had problems with Sachesi. Using a Mac or Windows OS older than Windows 7?
To add to jrohland post. Carrier specific upgrades usually are just to add their bloatware.
Verizon is an example, found 5 files that are unique to their upgrade.
(12-10-2014, 12:19 AM)DLewis13 Wrote: See thread I am.. Official upgrade available from Rogers Canada.
You had problems with Sachesi. Using a Mac or Windows OS older than Windows 7?

Purely user error, I'm quite sure (aka PEBKAC or ID10T). I've followed Robert's tutorials and step-by-step to a 't', but something inevitably goes "BOOM!" and fails. I run Windows 7 and 8.1.

(12-10-2014, 12:41 AM)jrohland Wrote: Updates are normally triggered by the carrier SIM but always come from BlackBerry. So what does that mean?

BlackBerry runs the update servers. On those servers they have every update any carrier wants their customers to get. So, if Rogers approves 10.3.0.1172 and, you have a Rogers SIM and the phone is from Rogers or unlocked, you should see that update as available. This works even if you don't have an active account on Rogers. Which is why people buy a Rogers SIM off Amazon and put it in their unlocked phone to get the current Rogers approved update.

Of course, it needs to be a phone model Rogers actually sells or they probably have not approved the update.

On some very rare occasions you can get the current update direct from BlackBerry if you have no SIM and an unlocked phone. Usually that happens when you run Link.
Hmm. I was hoping to avoid pulling the cover off to get to the SIM, but at least it's an option.
It is so easy to simulate over the air updates using Sachesi, which is non-destructive, I don't even bother with carrier SIMs any more.
[b][i]For the rest of the world, Sachesi works well. For me, not so much! Doubt
[/i][/b]

Thank you so much for this precise and clear explanation! I've learned a valuable lesson today!

Error message? Some have problems with Sachesi choking on dtxg (Documents To Go) files.
On occasion, I've received error messages but I can't recall all of them, and of course, they show up in a specifically patterned LED flash sequence. Although to be fair to myself, the last time I tried a Sachesi update, I had forgotten to put the phone into Airplane mode and received a call on the device 60% or so into the upgrade!

Yep, Airplane mode is a must. :)