Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaks. Why the addiction?
I've been thinking about the psychological draw to leaks for a long time. When I had my Torch devices, I discovered hybrids. Boy did I. I read everything I could on how to do them, added notes to my desktop, asked questions when I got stuck and generally went bananas. Fast forward to the US launch day of BB10. Once I brought my shiny new Z10 home, got it all set up, and had my first BBM voice chat, my next thought was, 'I'm going to miss hybrids.' But, in a few short months, folks waaaay smarter than me introduced ways to load 'leaked' OS's onto our shiny new BB10 devices. Once again, I read everything I could find, took notes , and took the plunge. Since then, as soon as one comes out, I'm on it . I wait for the file to load with anticipation. Then, I wait. I read others' experiences first. Once I'm satisfied, I back up and load. I drool at the possibilities of what new and exciting features await. Since I never restore, I patiently and persistently reload everything one by one until I'm up and running again, and then play with it just like I did on day one.

All of this has me thinking: why do we salivate like animals when a new OS is 'spotted?' Why do we beg for the files, and go generally bananas? Is it because we are spoiled? Is it because we are all little kids looking forward to a new toy? Or is it something deeper?

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it's the profile of the BlackBerry user in general. We are intelligent. We need a tool that we can rely on. We need an assistant to help us manage our day-to-day existence. And we treasure that tool as much (in some cases more) as our loved ones.

I think of my BlackBerries past and present as a thoroughbred horse. It is bred to run, fast and strong. But, it is capable of more than we can put it through daily. And we know this. So for me, a 'leak' is that extra little something that will make that horse run just a bit faster, and a bit better than it did in the last race we entered it in. And we can't wait to see the performance!

Sadly, I don't think any amount of rehab will cure me of my addiction. And it drives me nuts! There are more important things to think about than watching and waiting for a leak. Unfortunately, I give in to that next 'fix', that next anticipation. And I'm crushed when it doesn't come!

[-] The following 6 users Like Azensun's post:
  • Bigglybobblyboo, Brad, miker476, Robert, veeru789, wkrgr
Who doesn't drool over leaks? (besides iTal1)

I for one love the fact that with BB10 you can make your own hybrids, extract files, load Core OS or simply do Autoloaders. Heck even deciding on whether to do a security wipe before or after or not even at all is fun.

I guess I would say one is not a "true BlackBerrian" if one doesn't drool over leaks.

This is a really nice topic that I feel should be in general discussion to get participation.

Azensun. This is a really nice topic that I feel should be in general discussion to get better participation so I'm going to move it there instead.

*Thread moved*

BlackBerry z30...my weapon of choice.
"Encryption is the defense against the dark arts in the digital realm" - Edward Snowden
[-] The following 3 users Like Robert's post:
  • Azensun, undbiter65, veeru789
I do like to load them up myself. I used to fret about it a bit, but now that I'm running a Z30 I can abuse my spare Z10!
Logic dictates, but reason rules... DM

Farts are just the ghosts of the things we eat...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Canuckvoip's post:
  • Azensun
Azensun, I feel the same you do about loading a fresh new leak on my Z10. Hell, it doesn't have to be a leak, anything I can load makes me happy. I remember when I was a child, I had access to my father's PC. I would reinstall the OS every month, as I felt a smoother experience when everything was fresh. I totally enjoyed installing all the software after. There were no restores back then, there are no restores now (well only contacts and some data). Then wife my own machine I fooled around with Linux. When I got my first BlackBerry (Bold 9700) I also learned how to load a new version of the OS, so you can imagine I did that a lot. There was a trick to it, kind of like an art. I couldn't get updates from my carrier, so I had to force the update (battery out, connect to BBD, etc. ). This is what makes the hardware more yours, when you've actually tinkered with it IMO.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
[-] The following 3 users Like wkrgr's post:
  • Azensun, Robert, veeru789
Coming to think of it, during my early BlackBerry days, 2007, 2008, I would load all sorts of OS'. I simply don't have the patience for it. And some of them cause serious battery drainage. Now, having said all that, I want 10.3.* on my Z10 and Q10 stat. Albeit scared it will really slow my devices down...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes ivantwilliams's post:
  • Azensun
I myself think it's more of a hacker mentality. We like to tinker, and see how things work.
You can have my Blackberry when you pry it from my cold dead hands! Mad
[-] The following 3 users Like Rural Geek's post:
  • Azensun, Robert, wkrgr
(04-07-2014, 12:57 AM)MePiikan LzBolaz Wrote: Who doesn't drool over leaks? (besides iTal1)

I for one love the fact that with BB10 you can make your own hybrids, extract files, load Core OS or simply do Autoloaders. Heck even deciding on whether to do a security wipe before or after or not even at all is fun.

I guess I would say one is not a "true BlackBerrian" if one doesn't drool over leaks.

This is a really nice topic that I feel should be in general discussion to get participation.

Azensun. This is a really nice topic that I feel should be in general discussion to get better participation so I'm going to move it there instead.

*Thread moved*

Me.

I don't drool over leaks... but I do want the rest of you to download them!

I have my daily driver and that's that. I can't afford for it to be messed with.

So I'll wait for my official version but it doesn't mean to say that I don't like you having your fun as, after all, you're showing me the snippets of what's to come.

And, BTW, I think we're in for a big surprise with 10.3...
[-] The following 4 users Like Bigglybobblyboo's post:
  • Azensun, newcollector, Rural Geek, veeru789
(04-07-2014, 07:38 AM)Rural Geek Wrote: I myself think it's more of a hacker mentality. We like to tinker, and see how things work.

You're right! I am a tinkerer at heart, but never thought of being leak addicted as tinkering! I do like to take things apart to see how they work, and I never back down from a challenge. Excellent point!

(04-07-2014, 07:30 AM)naviwilliams Wrote: Coming to think of it, during my early BlackBerry days, 2007, 2008, I would load all sorts of OS'. I simply don't have the patience for it. And some of them cause serious battery drainage. Now, having said all that, I want 10.3.* on my Z10 and Q10 stat. Albeit scared it will really slow my devices down...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The process for leaks has really improved with OS10. No more hunting for vendor.xml files to delete! Once downloaded, it really is as simple as plug and go. But I completely understand the hesitation! I practically turned blue holding my breath when I did the first one!! Lol.

I remember loading my first leak. I just have researched the steps for like 2 weeks before actually doing it. The whole time I was super worried. Now I help others...

"Encryption is the defense against the dark arts in the digital realm" - Edward Snowden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robert's post:
  • wkrgr
(05-07-2014, 12:06 AM)Azensun Wrote: The process for leaks has really improved with OS10. No more hunting for vendor.xml files to delete! Once downloaded, it really is as simple as plug and go. But I completely understand the hesitation! I practically turned blue holding my breath when I did the first one!! Lol.

Oh yes I remember those days. I unlocked lots of hidden goodies in my Curve 8310.

For me the "obsession" w/ leaks was brought on by a lacking 10.0 os. Now it's just for the fun if nothing more than the new look of the icons. It keeps me interested.

Z30 / 10.3.x.xxxx
Q10 / 10.3.x.xxxx