Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z3 is Android ready?
As you may have seen in out blog post and as confirmed by our trusted member RedFoxOne, the Z3 is being marketed as "Android ready". I would have to assume that in order for BlackBerry to be able to openly market this, that Google would have to give their stamp of approval. Does this mean Chen may have done what was once thought to be impossible? Has he convinced Google to eventually allow the Play Store and Google Services on BB10? This is pure speculation on my part but if anyone could do it, it's John Chen.
Sorry Ray, indeed it's true that Z3 is marketed as Android ready, but 1mobile store is not preloaded in Z3. All 3 of the Z3s I bought don't have it.
Ah my mistake. Read that wrong. OP edited.
If I recall correctly, Jolla may be taking that approach by loading the Yandex Android app market on their phones. Jolla's Sailfish OS has an Android runtime as well.
No, as much as I may sound like Troll Tisisatroll,

You'll notice that the newer generation of devices that runs on Android needs to have the markings "Powered By Android". This, if I recall, is that Google just say "whatever you want to say, do, its has to be "Powered by Android", anything else is extra."

I'm not so sure what happens to Meego and Jolla Sailfish, since these two can run APKs as well. I do not have the physical box nor have I ever seen them in Malaysia, but if anybody can confirm that they can run APKs, but how do they say "this machine runs APK"? If its the same green sticker like what BlackBerry does, then we know something's up.
I'm the UTB Godzilla.
Using the BlackBerry KEYone
(19-05-2014, 10:14 AM)badiyee Wrote: No, as much as I may sound like Troll Tisisatroll,

You'll notice that the newer generation of devices that runs on Android needs to have the markings "Powered By Android". This, if I recall, is that Google just say "whatever you want to say, do, its has to be "Powered by Android", anything else is extra."

I'm not so sure what happens to Meego and Jolla Sailfish, since these two can run APKs as well. I do not have the physical box nor have I ever seen them in Malaysia, but if anybody can confirm that they can run APKs, but how do they say "this machine runs APK"? If its the same green sticker like what BlackBerry does, then we know something's up.
I believe they just install the Android runtime; because it isn't certified by Google, they don't have access to Google Services. This is very similar to Amazon's Fire OS which is a forked version of Android Open Source; Amazon does not have access to Google Services either. Whereas Amazon is running an Android OS, BlackBerry 10 is running the exact same Dalvik runtime present in the Android OS but on top of QNX. At the end of the day, neither has access to Google Services.
When they say Android ready what they mean is it can run Android apps. Not the OS. I don't think there's any deal with the devil here.
Hmm interesting indeed. It'd be a nice addition in respect to attracting the general consumer if thw Google services get added. :)
"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!"
(20-05-2014, 12:11 AM)veeru789 Wrote: When they say Android ready what they mean is it can run Android apps. Not the OS. I don't think there's any deal with the devil here.

I'm with you on this.
I don't think we should expect to see Google Play store on our devices and I dont think there has been any deal with Google on this.
I think after having a discussion with his legal team JC, played some of his bonus cards to his advantage and wouldnt be intimidated into not doing it by a bunch of bullies, because technically what can they really do.
So I think 'Android Ready' is referring to the fact that apk's can be downloaded and installed straight onto the device, no sideloading etc required, ie. the Z3 is running 10.2.1 (a clever choice of words makes all the difference)

Remember Android is open source, sure its Google's, but open source is open source.
BlackBerry isnt claiming to run Android OS and there is no mention at all of Google or Google Play Services, all it really is, is the ability to run certain Android apps in a sandboxed Android runtime. This is BlackBerry essentially taking an open source project and creating it's own implementation of it. Not such an easy thing for Google to go into a legal battle over, particularly when there has been no mention of Google at all, this would also mean that they would have to take a closer look at all the different manufacturers that are running Android and their partnerships with them or use of the Android project, it would really be a great big legal mess.
This is just my opinion though

But what does the average consumer think when they see "Android Ready" ? They see BlackBerry and the consistent old mindset kicks in of "oh its BlackBerry" but could seeing that little 'Android Ready' make them look twice? I think so. Look at what the OP immediately thought (no offense intended at all btw)
Very simple words put together intelligently can make all the difference
Your blissful iGnorance may shield you from the rest of the world but it can't save you from yourself.... or Google
missy,
totally agree with you. And just to add a point, if Google thinks going to court in Indonesia is easy then good luck with that. Indonesian law is very different and they don't accept court rulings done out side the country. I know this coz, we buy commodities from Indonesia and its a tough place to enforce legal aspects.