Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The unpleasant two weeks with the KEYone
Well this isn't going to be a good one i'm afraid so if you're considering buying a KEYone you might want to do some reading .

I now had the KEYone for two weeks. I've started with a very mild usage as I didn't want to let go of my Passport but i've enjoyed using it more and more as time went by.
The form factor is lovely. Fits nicely into the hands and even though I struggled typing on the keyboard at first I must admit I think the four rows keyboard is a machine ! I find myself typing faster than on my Passport after just over a week. The flicking gestures are a bit less responsive on the KEYone though and I have to flick twice or even three times to select the word I want sometimes. Also I don't know if it's just the size or shape of my hands but when I type with two hands I find myself hitting the convenience key quite a lot (hence opening the Hub) and that's rather annoying, maybe they could have place the convenience key above the volume rockers ?

My major problem withdraw the KEYone is on the connectivity side.

Firstly, the bluetooth. I'm a big podcast and music listener, I happen to listen to them with wireless SONY headphones (mdr 1000x, xb950b1 if you care) and I can listen to all sorts of environments (public transport, gym, kitchen, library) he KEYone works fine within 50-80cm ( you read that right) i.e when I hold it in my hands while looking at it. If I hold it in my hand with my arm fully extended the audio starts lagging, if I slowly move my arm in a circular motion, then it becomes worse, more than two metres and you are now listening to an encrypted podcast, past that point only prayers ‎will be heard. So if you leave your phone in your bag pocket forget it.

Then the WiFi : same story unfortunately. If I one metre from my modem then i've got full strength signal, if I just turn my back on it I loose half of the strength and back in my room 5 metres and two walls behind, I am lucky if it even gets it. The signal comes on and off. So if you are streaming videos at night watch out as you may be using all your data from your plan !

Lastly, the mobile network. I'm using the Telstra network and it works very fine but at two occasions yesterday as I was outside the whole thing wouldn't work. I couldn't browse the Web at all. Not even a page. Restarted the phone, problem disappeared and came back only once a few hours later.

Now you pay AUD$800 (RRP AUD$899) for a phone you expect it to work seamlessly especially since it doesn't have the best screen or the best camera out there. But we love our BlackBerry for their productivity aspect. Someone explain how we are supposed to be productive without being connected ?
I mean, is there anyone who tested the phone or they just put the chips in and sealed the thing ? It's TCL first BlackBerry, hopefully not the last, there is a huge potential for them to make good phones and there is a market there (mine was the last one in store only days after it was launched), but they do need to realise that we love BlackBerry for things such as built quality (screen falling apart on KEYone) and productivity. I don't buy a BlackBerry for the apps, or the camera, video stabilisation, fingerprint scanner and those gimmicks. Sure it's nice to have those, but BlackBerry's DNA isn't in the KEYone.
If you do want a Blackdroid stick to the Priv, or one of the Dtek (even though I haven't tried those). Getting used to Android is pretty straightforward and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but i would never emphasise too much on how bb10 devices have still bright days ahead of them and if you do hold a Passport or a Classic, stick to them.
For now my KEYone's best feature is as a paypass, a 800$ paypass.
I strongly wish for an update to fix those issues but if they've put a snapdragon 625, I think they went for a more affordable bluetooth/wifi chip as well, so I'd assume that it's not software related but hardware indeed.
This video alone should raise some concernshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWSiNvjO4dk
(22-07-2017, 08:05 AM)La Bete Wrote: Well this isn't going to be a good one i'm afraid so if you're considering buying a KEYone you might want to do some reading .

I now had the KEYone for two weeks. I've started with a very mild usage as I didn't want to let go of my Passport but i've enjoyed using it more and more as time went by.
The form factor is lovely. Fits nicely into the hands and even though I struggled typing on the keyboard at first I must admit I think the four rows keyboard is a machine ! I find myself typing faster than on my Passport after just over a week. The flicking gestures are a bit less responsive on the KEYone though and I have to flick twice or even three times to select the word I want sometimes. Also I don't know if it's just the size or shape of my hands but when I type with two hands I find myself hitting the convenience key quite a lot (hence opening the Hub) and that's rather annoying, maybe they could have place the convenience key above the volume rockers ?

Firstly, the bluetooth. I'm a big podcast and music listener, I happen to listen to them with wireless SONY headphones (mdr 1000x, xb950b1 if you care) and I can listen to all sorts of environments (public transport, gym, kitchen, library) he KEYone works fine within 50-80cm ( you read that right) i.e when I hold it in my hands while looking at it. If I hold it in my hand with my arm fully extended the audio starts lagging, if I slowly move my arm in a circular motion, then it becomes worse, more than two metres and you are now listening to an encrypted podcast, past that point only prayers ‎will be heard. So if you leave your phone in your bag pocket forget it.

Then the WiFi : same story unfortunately. If I one metre from my modem then i've got full strength signal, if I just turn my back on it I loose half of the strength and back in my room 5 metres and two walls behind, I am lucky if it even gets it. The signal comes on and off. So if you are streaming videos at night watch out as you may be using all your data from your plan !

Lastly, the mobile network. I'm using the Telstra network and it works very fine but at two occasions yesterday as I was outside the whole thing wouldn't work. I couldn't browse the Web at all. Not even a page. Restarted the phone, problem disappeared and came back only once a few hours later.

Now you pay AUD$800 (RRP AUD$899) for a phone you expect it to work seamlessly especially since it doesn't have the best screen or the best camera out there. But we love our BlackBerry for their productivity aspect. Someone explain how we are supposed to be productive without being connected ?
I mean, is there anyone who tested the phone or they just put the chips in and sealed the thing ? It's TCL first BlackBerry, hopefully not the last, there is a huge potential for them to make good phones and there is a market there (mine was the last one in store only days after it was launched), but they do need to realise that we love BlackBerry for things such as built quality (screen falling apart on KEYone) and productivity. I don't buy a BlackBerry for the apps, or the camera, video stabilisation, fingerprint scanner and those gimmicks. Sure it's nice to have those, but BlackBerry's DNA isn't in the KEYone.
If you do want a Blackdroid stick to the Priv, or one of the Dtek (even though I haven't tried those). Getting used to Android is pretty straightforward and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but i would never emphasise too much on how bb10 devices have still bright days ahead of them and if you do hold a Passport or a Classic, stick to them.
I strongly wish for an update to fix those issues but if they've put a snapdragon 625, I think they went for a more affordable bluetooth/wifi chip as well, so I'd assume that it's not software related but hardware indeed.
This video alone should raise some concernshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWSiNvjO4dk

Sounds to me like you have a bad phone, I don't have 1, I mean Not one Problem with my KEYᴼᴺᴱ, I've actually haven't a a problem with any BlackBerrys to date, call me lucky, but I think it's just BlackBerry doing a great job. Of course their gonna have some phone with issues but I have yet to have one. P.S my KEYᴼᴺᴱ runs better then any phone I own and I have tons of BlackBerrys and I have a LG G5 G6 LG V20, S6 S7 Active, IPhone 6S, Nexus 5x and 6P and nothing can run as good as my KEYᴼᴺᴱ, I can only think that the SD625 might be small but it's a powerhouse...

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
(22-07-2017, 08:05 AM)La Bete Wrote: Well this isn't going to be a good one i'm afraid so if you're considering buying a KEYone you might want to do some reading .

And the KEYᴼᴺᴱ is not the last so don't worry. We have the BlackBerry Krypton and Juno coming soon.

Aaron have you tried audio Bluetooth streaming at all?
La Bete, after reading your post this is a big concern for me. I rely on my device to run my business. I need good service, constant and reliable internet and a good Bluetooth connection. After reading a lot of the issues with the KEYone, I think I will definitely keep using my Passport for now. I will consider getting a KEYone when/if they manage to sort out the issues with it. Right now, I just don't need an unreliable device.
And I fixed your YouTube link here also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWSiNvjO4dk
Thanks for fixing this Wayno.
Well only time will tell if it was my unit was faulty or if it was all of them. A bit like the battery of a Samsung Note. I took it to JB Hi-fi and even though they were more than professional, my KEYone is out for service and should be back within 2-4 weeks ! Which means that the repairer will have used it more than I did...
I think i'm not the only one having connections related issues with that device.
But thank God they gave me a loan phone : an iPhone (my Passport's SIM reader wouldn't work for some reason).
You could buy a KEYone but you'll instantly become TCL's guinea pig. Now your work requires you to be always connected and full on, some wait for TCL next devices and for them to say that they fixed the issues of the KEYone.
(22-07-2017, 01:51 PM)La Bete Wrote: Thanks for fixing this Wayno.
Well only time will tell if it was my unit was faulty or if it was all of them. A bit like the battery of a Samsung Note. I took it to JB Hi-fi and even though they were more than professional, my KEYone is out for service and should be back within 2-4 weeks ! Which means that the repairer will have used it more than I did...
I think i'm not the only one having connections related issues with that device.
But thank God they gave me a loan phone : an iPhone (my Passport's SIM reader wouldn't work for some reason).
You could buy a KEYone but you'll instantly become TCL's guinea pig. Now your work requires you to be always connected and full on, some wait for TCL next devices and for them to say that they fixed the issues of the KEYone.

I have no doubt you have a bad unit. I have a KEYone and I stream a lot. Everyday as a matter of fact. Like you, I am a massive Podcast fan. I also just recently fell in love with Amazon Music. 

Now, I would agree it seems there is something different with the Bluetooth. In my car, I can connect, and stay connected for GPS and phone calls, but when I start to play music from Amazon Music, I disconnect almost immediately and need to re-connect, and will stay connected until I try to control my music. 

On the other hand, I have several sets of Bluetooth headphones. Like, a ridiculous amount. I generally swap between three pair, but have tested with all of them, plus my Amazon Tap, a Jambox, and a cheap little Skull Candy Bluetooth speaker (which sounds so much better than the Jambox lol). I have zero issues. I can be on the other side of my house before I hear a sputter in the connection. All while also connected to a Samsung S2 smartwatch through Bluetooth. 

In all, my Bluetooth has been perfect, except for the situation in my car. Because I have what looks to be a total of 9 Bluetooth devices paired with my KEYone and only issues with my car, I believe the issue is something to do with my car. 

And while I haven't tested that many WiFi connections, I only have two setup on my KEYone, I haven't had a single issue with that. 

I thoroughly understand your frustration, I had a Passport with the screen lift and it was beyond frustrating. Such a disappointment. But I'm sure you received a bad unit. Most of the UTB crew have the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and it seems you're the only one with these issues. I would definitely ask for a replacement.
Thanks for your reply Brad.
I took it back to the shop, now it is up to them. The more feedbacks I read the more i'm convinced it is a bad unit. But they all have the same components so maybe (I strongly hope I am mistaken) but they won't age well. I have my Passport for two years now, dropped it numerous time unfortunately but it is still in good condition. I hope we will be able to say the same for the KEYone.
(22-07-2017, 08:34 AM)La Bete Wrote: Aaron have you tried audio Bluetooth streaming at all?

Yes and I don't have any issues.

I like my KEYᴼᴺᴱ so much I bought another one, it came in today.. İmage

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk