Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SD card encryption
KEYone. My SD card is in my device as external storage which is fine but I see no option to encrypt it. On BB10 I could encrypt the SD card and know that nobody could access the contents if the device was lost or stolen. Is it possible to encrypt the SD card on BlackBerry Android? I see device encryption but it says nothing about card or is that included in device encryption?
I understand what you mean about SD card encryption. I don't believe its available on BlackDroid. That was another great feature of BB10. Hopefully, BlackBerry can add that somehow to BlackDroid.
Via BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 or Z30 or Classic on 10.3.2.556 or BB Playbook
[-] The following 1 user Likes james pisano's post:
  • passport4077
Thanks for the reply. Yes I hope BlackBerry do make it possible to encrypt the SD card, for the sake of security it makes sense. Still undecided as to whether I should format the SD card as internal storage. Have read many articles on this and although it leaves the SD card vulnerable external storage seems to be the way to go. If anyone has any better opinions or articles on this please do post.
(28-06-2017, 08:25 PM)passport4077 Wrote: Thanks for the reply. Yes I hope BlackBerry do make it possible to encrypt the SD card, for the sake of security it makes sense. Still undecided as to whether I should format the SD card as internal storage. Have read many articles on this and although it leaves the SD card vulnerable external storage seems to be the way to go. If anyone has any better opinions or articles on this please do post.

I would avoid formatting the SD card as internal storage. A number of issues can arise from doing that have been reported in the forums.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes newcollector's post:
  • DickLewis13
Like not being able to see card later. Mucks it up big time.

(28-06-2017, 09:54 PM)newcollector Wrote: I would avoid formatting the SD card as internal storage. A number of issues can arise from doing that have been reported in the forums.

Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
(29-06-2017, 01:34 AM)DickLewis13 Wrote: Like not being able to see card later. Mucks it up big time.

Spoke to BlackBerry Support and was advised to encrypt the SD card but as a result of my own research and what has been mentioned above I will avoid doing this. Live in hope that SD card encryption is a feature BlackBerry will offer in a future update.
Despite the advice given and my previous posts I just couldn't live carrying a mobile device around with an unencrypted SD card and decided to format it as internal storage. My KEYone recognises both storage locations but of course now functions as one. So far so good, no loss of operating speed etc to report and as someone who backs up my device regularly I shouldn't be losing any data in the event of a device malfunction. Watch this space.
As the old saying goes, "So far so good" and the corresponding "Keep your fingers crossed".

[-] The following 1 user Likes newcollector's post:
  • passport4077