Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBM Enterprise
FYSA for anyone using BBM Protected on BB10

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2163

Using BBM Protected which is now BBM Enterprise

Updated BBM this morning. To switch to BBM Enterprise, swipe down from top to access settings, then select to switch to BBM Enterprise.

The big news: Cross-Platform video chat. Just tested with daughter who is using a iPhone. (Note: I have Protected Plus enabled, which enables Protected chats with contacts who don't actually have BBM Protected. I believe having Plus enabled is necessary for video chat if the other party doesn't have BBM Protected. But I didn't test.)

Some things to know. All chats and groups cleared. Your contacts will still be in BBM but you will have to set them up again. If you enforce manual pass phrases that means exhanging the pass phrase out of band again.

Also, I have lost BBM Channels. So far I don't see how to get Channels back.

There is an option to undo the switch to Enterprise. That would probably revert back to BBM Protected, but I would lose cross-platform video chat.

- Ira

Just FYI for anyone using BBM Protected who hasn't done the switch yet. And of course, the news about video chat.
Many are giving up on Protected and Enterprise. No channels and other changes seem to be the killer.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
Yep.   As I posted, channels are gone.

I don't know how many are giving up.  Seems there are some like me who place the cross-platform video calling in priority above the features that are lost.  I know for me channels was good for a few things, but it wasn't indispensable, and I'm not really going to miss it.  What one thinks really comes down to their priorities.  Standard BBM is  being further developed and marketed to mass market as a social and entertainment app.  BBM Enterprise is private and secure messaging sweet and simple.

Anyway, update for everyone: Either something is wrong with BBM Enterprise or else just something that happens to some people, but I see it on my Passport and on my wife's Passport, and I see others reporting it....Extremely high CPU demand and hence power demand from System.  It has improved a little, but still a problem.  I'm in the midst of preparing to reload the OS.  

Of course I'm hoping the OS reload solves this latest problem.  But I'm also hoping it solves the problem both wife and I are having with not being able to backup with Link and the spontaneous reboots once in a while since doing OTA upgrade 10.3.3.

- Ira
Another update:  In prep for reloading OS I turned off SD card encryption.  On a whim I also turned off device encryption.  I looked at device monitor again and lo and behold resource use by System was back in normal range.  Also, BBM Enterprise had been running at 5-6% of CPU constantly and with encryption off it was Idle.

I'm going to hold off on doing an OS reload and watch for a while.  Later I'll turn encryption back on and see what happens.

My wife's Passport had the same resource use problem as I was having after switching her BBM Protected to BBM Enterprise.   I just turned encryption off on her device and we'll see if her device responds the same way my device did.

Also FYSA for anyone:  After 10.3.3 I was no longer able to backup with Link.  Everything else with Link and Blend work, except backup would error.  I tried a backup after decryption was done, and it worked!!!  I'll test after I turn encryption back on.

Theory:  There was some glitch in the file system.  Decrypting somehow removed the glitch.

Something else:  After 10.3.3 I started having spontaneous reboots.  Sometimes I go a few days without one, and sometimes one or two on a random day.  I'm curious to see if this stops as well.

- Ira
High resource use returned when I turned encryption back on.

I had hoped turning encryption off fixed something that would stay fixed. Apparently not.
Since last update I had turned encryption off again. Resource use greatly improved again, or seemed to.

This morning System and BBM Enterprise CPU and battery use numbers were back up like before. I restarted the device and use numbers came down for a while, but then back up.

My wife's Passport, same model and same OS, is behaving the same way.

My gut says reloading the OS isn't going to solve this. Plus I really don't want to reload the OS until forced. And I can go a few days to a week like this before I have to do something.
Delete BBM Enterprise. Use standard BBM, test for a bit.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
That will likely be my next step. But I'm holding off.

When one switches to BBM Enterprise, all chats and groups are cleared, and groups are deleted. Chat contacts remain in the list of contacts, but the protected chat must be recreated. If you have manual pass phrase enforced, this requires exchanging the pass phrase. That part is straightforward if you have the contacts mobile number, or an email address, or you can talk to them. For someone you only know through the forums, for example, you have to find another way to do it, such as PM on the forum site.

So I'm going to wait, probably at least until a weekend before I go on travel again. If not resolved by then, I'll deactivate BBM Enterprise and see what happens.

- Ira
That will likely be my next step.  But I'm holding off.

When one switches to BBM Enterprise, all chats and groups are cleared, and groups are deleted.  Chat contacts remain in the list of contacts, but the protected chat must be recreated.  If you have manual pass phrase enforced, this requires exchanging the pass phrase.  That part is straightforward if you have the contacts mobile number, or an email address, or you can talk to them.  For someone you only know through the forums, for example, you have to find another way to do it, such as PM on the forum site.

So I'm going to wait, probably at least until a weekend before I go on travel again.  If not resolved by then, I'll deactivate BBM Enterprise and see what happens.

- Ira

EDIT:  I tried deleting this double post but I'm not allowed.
Thanks for the info Ira