Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meandering Thoughts On BlackBerry and The Q10
How does one come to love a brand? Love a corporate entity and the products that entity creates? Isn't it silly, foolish, or even possibly unhealthy? Rationally, I know I don't actually love this corporation, and to a lesser extent, I know I don't actually love their products, but if you ask me, that's the language I would use. I think I'm fairly "normal." In some respects, I do not fall within 2 standard deviations inside a bell curve (random distribution), and I often feel a bit like an alien among people, but I'm still pretty "normal." I mean, I'm not a psychopath by any objective measure. On the surface I am the same as everyone else. So how does it happen that I feel the impulse to expound on my feeling for a consumer product and the company that makes it? I've already done so many times on the blog side of this website, and at least a few other times in other forum posts.

In my defense, this product, which could equally be considered a consumer product or commercial product, but for me is a consumer product as although I have used it for commercial reasons, I've never been involved in buying decisions for a business entity regarding this product- but in my defense, this product is fairly ubiquitous and critical for many people. I mean, we use our mobile devices every day for myriad very important reasons, to perform functions that were previously performed with myriad other technologies. My Q10 replaces or partially replaces hand held organizers like the Palm Pilot (which replaced paper organizer systems and products like the "DayRunners" I used to use), my PC, my TV, land line telephones, in-car mounted cellular phones, paper Yellow Pages books, paper maps, alarm clocks, cameras and video cameras, CD players (and MP3 players if I ever had one), video gaming systems, etc. For others the list of products replaced or partially replaced, may be even longer.

Also in my defense, not only does my Q10 replace partially or fully, a bunch of other products and technologies, it performs many very important underlying functions like helping me stay in touch with loved ones, helping me organize social events with friends, helping me stay organized and get things done in my personal and professional spheres, helping me complete projects like writing my book, helping me store personal information securely, helping me take pictures of milestones or more mundane things that happen in my life, helping me enjoy the emotional release of listening to good music, etc.

So, I think I am not totally unlike many other people in how heavily I rely on mobile technology, and I would wager that if you asked many people what products they simply could not live without, or would not want to live without, their mobile phones would be high on that list, along with their cars,

However, I am very enamored with this little device. I can honestly say that my affection for this device has not changed overall, since I bought it over 2 years ago; I love it just as much, and maybe even more. I use it constantly for so many things that are very important to me. With regards to BlackBerry and "loving" BlackBerry, I can only say that whatever fondness I have for their products, it's probably psychologically natural that some of that transfers to the company that makes them. I tend also to root for the underdog in sporting situations and this may also spur whatever emotional attachment I have to this corporate entity. In my defense, they are a relatively benign entity that seems to engage in their business in a pretty "above board" or "stand up" way, and have been attacked (sometimes viciously) by myriad people from countless venues, so much, that knowing their story, it's difficult not to appreciate that they are still in business and have some fondness for them just for that reason.

So this was my very longwinded way of saying "I love my Q10, and I'm not ashamed of it." I'm not going to go into the reasons why - I've already done that too many times. The UTB illuminati might run me out of here! :)
Via BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 or Z30 or Classic on 10.3.2.556 or BB Playbook
You just wrote a blob..... Have you ever tried a classic?

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nnik's post:
  • bartron
I'll be a little more terse.

I love my smartphones because they hold everything for me and are always on me. I don't go anywhere without my phone. First thing I check in the morning, and last things I check at night. My schedule, my contacts, my notes, heck, even a phone call or two is all through this one little device. There are days that I don't use my coffee maker, or car, or TV, or computer, or anything else I own. But there's not a day that I don't use my phone. That's why my phone is so important to me.

Now, as for BlackBerry? I chose BlackBerry because it did everything I needed in a phone better than anything else out there. It still does. And that's why I like and stick with the brand. But I'm vocal about it because of others. Others that attacked me for choosing that brand, or said I was wrong, or that what I thought didn't matter. Trolls turned a fan into a super-fan.

I don't think that's what they intended.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
[-] The following 3 users Like Brad's post:
  • BB4tw, BBEAST, james pisano
I'll be a little more terse.

I love my smartphones because they hold everything for me and are always on me. I don't go anywhere without my phone. First thing I check in the morning, and last things I check at night. My schedule, my contacts, my notes, heck, even a phone call or two is all through this one little device. There are days that I don't use my coffee maker, or car, or TV, or computer, or anything else I own. But there's not a day that I don't use my phone. That's why my phone is so important to me.

Now, as for BlackBerry? I chose BlackBerry because it did everything I needed in a phone better than anything else out there. It still does. And that's why I like and stick with the brand. But I'm vocal about it because of others. Others that attacked me for choosing that brand, or said I was wrong, or that what I thought didn't matter. Trolls turned a fan into a super-fan.

I don't think that's what they intended.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brad's post:
  • BBEAST
You can say that again, Brad! Oh, you did. :D

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv
[-] The following 2 users Like newcollector's post:
  • BBEAST, Brad
One, that does look like a blog. Two, James has a Classic, he is just enamored of the Q10.
Nice phone, but screen is too small for me.
As for all Blackberry devices, do I love them. Yep, methinks I can say that I do.
Simple, BlackBerry works and does what I want it to do.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
[-] The following 3 users Like DickLewis13's post:
  • BBEAST, james pisano, newcollector
Nice words, Brad. Well said.
(08-09-2016, 12:05 AM)Nnik Wrote: You just wrote a blob..... Have you ever tried a classic?

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

I was thinking it could be a blob, Nik, but as you will recall, no editorials without news...
I love the Classic, and if I had to chose only one BlackBerry, it would be that. However, I love the Q10 and also love being able to swap the same SIM in and out of it and my Z30 whenever I want.

What can I say, I'm a complex guy...
Yep, newer phones use nanoSIM, harder to swap,
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
[-] The following 1 user Likes DickLewis13's post:
  • james pisano