Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Processor Speed
Several of the UTB'rs know I'm a SIM swapper and enjoy using three of my Berries regularly (Shaddup Brad). I also enjoy connecting to a big monitor via HDMI and to a BlackBerry keyboard via Bluetooth to use my device as a workstation.

I've been using my Q10 lately and switched to my Classic and have been having trouble with the somewhat disjointed way I connect that device to the monitor; I need a new adapter. So I plugged my Z30 in and turned on WiFi to read the news using GNews Reader.

What I noticed was my Z30 is noticeably faster loading Web pages, than my Q10. I'd say 40 - 50% faster. Wow! Not sure how it took me this long to notice this. Now I'm wondering how my Classic fares in comparison.
Via BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 or Z30 or Classic on 10.3.2.556 or BB Playbook
[-] The following 1 user Likes james pisano's post:
  • Brad
Z30 has 1.7ghz processors,

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
If you think the Z30 is fast, the Passport is faster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Schmurf.'s post:
  • james pisano
Passport: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 with 2.2GHz Quad-Core
A bit faster, but I think my Z30 is more than fast enough for me.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
[-] The following 1 user Likes DickLewis13's post:
  • james pisano
So I noticed my Q10 was performing better. I think the previous performance degradation had to do partly with WiFi problems, and also had to do with when I was rendering video. So it seems the Z30 is faster, but not quite as much faster than it thought. It also seems to render video faster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes james pisano's post:
  • Brad
(03-09-2016, 07:51 PM)DickLewis13 Wrote: Passport: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 with 2.2GHz Quad-Core
A bit faster, but I think my Z30 is more than fast enough for me.

DL, you make a good point. At what point does faster no longer matter? What IS fast enough? So your app opens 0.2 seconds faster, what benefit does that give your life? Cumulatively over time it can be meaningful. For example my Dell 6540 with 8MB of RAM and solid state drive opens dramatically faster than my ancient D810 on Win XP and 2MB of RAM and traditional drive. But the difference between the 6540 and the 6520 is not significant. It doesn't have to be the absolute fastest to be good enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Schmurf.'s post:
  • james pisano
Agree with that completely, Schmurf. The attraction of cool specs can be really strong, but it's wise to consider your own priorities and use-case and go with what works best for you.
Agree with both. More power is not always the answer. Most smartphones today are fast, but does they so what you want them to do?
BlackBerry does!
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
[-] The following 1 user Likes DickLewis13's post:
  • james pisano
processor speed is quite good