Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Very Cheap Personal Cloud
I know I know... clouds are bad. Lol. But I use them. I actually like them. The convenience of being able to get to your stuff from anywhere is amazing. I do have my own rules for using them though. I don't put anything in them I wouldn't mind getting out. I basically have my media on there. My music, my videos, back ups of UTB videos and Blogcasts and such. Basically, stuff I wouldn't mind if it got stolen.

Not too long ago I bought a 3TB WD MyCloud. I like the idea of the cloud being at my house, vs some server somewhere else. And 3TB give me plenty of space, and a lot more than my various free accounts. I had set it up for our bloggers to use with hopes of easily sharing UTB stuff between us. Unfortunately, that cloud got stolen. Yes... really. Had a break in and they stole the physical drive. I hope they enjoy 90's rock. Anyway, I replaced it, got the updated app, and now it says it needs Google Services. It really doesn't, you can just bypass it, but it's an extra click, and it's fairly laggy now. On both my Passport and Priv. So that was out the window for UTB, and I'm working on filling it up with 90's rock again. Lol

I had an old device laying around I thought I'd try. A Pogoplug. It's basically a cloud device with no memory of it's own. You plug in SD cards and thumb drives, whatever size you want. It works great! The android app is extremely smooth on BB10.

Here's what's really nice. The devices are discontinued. Lol! Pogoplug is basically a cloud service now, and don't produce the devices anymore. You can pick them up for about 12 bucks on Amazon. I have an old 8gb thumb drive stuck in there, which is perfect for UTB-ers to send me their files for the Spotlight episodes. It's worked great.

Tonight I picked up a 1TB external drive for about 50 bucks on sale. I got it to test with a USB OTG hub that should be arriving tomorrow. I plugged it in to the PogoPlug to try it. Works great! Better than my WD Mycloud. At a fraction of the cost.

Less than 20 bucks for Pogoplug, free app on Amazon, and up to three USB drives and 2 SD cards? I wish I would have remembered I had this before I bought 2 WD MyClouds.

Just thought I'd share for anyone that would like their own personal cloud but doesn't want the expense. Here's a cheap way to do it, that actually works better than the expensive way.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
[-] The following 3 users Like Brad's post:
  • DickLewis13, fishlove73, Schmurf.
Nice! Only problem for me is all this hardware. I have 10 tb on onedrive, which I got from some offer and ofcourse 365 subscription. Integrates into BB10 file manager and can be used natively using docs to go, music player or video player. Gives offline access on my PC. How secured is it? Did some research and from what I have learned, box is best and onedrive a close second. Also I can share my subscription with 5 friends and family. Each of them get 1 tb each. Good deal I would say. And oh can collaborate on docs as well. Can uplaod a single file of 10 gb which box doesn't offer.
(11-02-2016, 08:24 PM)veeru789 Wrote: Nice! Only problem for me is all this hardware. I have 10 tb on onedrive, which I got from some offer and ofcourse 365 subscription. Integrates into BB10 file manager and can be used natively using docs to go, music player or video player. Gives offline access on my PC. How secured is it? Did some research and from what I have learned, box is best and onedrive a close second. Also I can share my subscription with 5 friends and family. Each of them get 1 tb each. Good deal I would say. And oh can collaborate on docs as well. Can uplaod a single file of 10 gb which box doesn't offer.

I am thinking you should share some of those tb with Brad. Big_smile2
Martin
BlackBerry 10 

(12-02-2016, 01:09 AM)mscloutier Wrote: I am thinking you should share some of those tb with Brad. Big_smile2

I only have 130gb on One Drive. Lol!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
(12-02-2016, 05:26 AM)Brad Wrote: I only have 130gb on One Drive. Lol!

Wow!!
Martin
BlackBerry 10 

I like the idea of cloud storage. I've just never liked the idea of it being on someone else's cloud. I would much prefer having my own. The RFA on link is okay, but both my wife and I can't access at the same time. We have a Seagate network drive that is supposed to provide a cloud service, but I haven't figured it out and haven't had the time. I would love to though.
I honestly never thought of a Pogoplug or a USB OTG to an external storage until yesterday. I use a Sandisk Wireless SD, it creates it's own WiFi signal and I can transfer data back and forth wirelessly...same "personal cloud" concept but it's tricky to get the App to work sometimes, but most of the time no issues. I would however like to try other types to increase speed and ease compatibility. I like this topic because there are things that I use cloud storage for and other things I use my own storage for which is usually a mix of micro SD's, Flash and external HD....I seriously need to meld these together in one happy secure place.
(12-02-2016, 01:09 AM)mscloutier Wrote: I am thinking you should share some of those tb with Brad. Big_smile2

Too late all gone :)

(12-02-2016, 05:26 AM)Brad Wrote: I only have 130gb on One Drive. Lol!

you get 1tb by default with office 365 subscription.