Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will BB Implement the Android API In BB10 ?
BlackBerry obviously has something up their sleeve with regards to the future of BB10. I do believe they are committed to BB10. But the fact that they haven't given a BB10 roadmap for developers makes me think they're making a big change to BB10's API. That's making me wonder if they're going to be implementing the Android API in BB10.

In theory, all an Android developer would then have to do to get their Android app running on BB10 is recompile their Android app for BB10, and test it. In practice, I'm sure there would be something in the Android API that would behave differently in BB10, so devs would have to make some changes, but it should be relatively minor. That could really boost the number of native BB10 apps.

The suspense is driving me nuts. :-D
[-] The following 1 user Likes bartron's post:
  • Schmurf.
Bartron, that's an intriguing thought. I guess that plays along the lines of my vision for BB11, possibly even better. BB10 would stay BB10, but Android APIs would run smoother on it. I guess then GPS would become available?

So, let me take this a step further. If that were the case, would it be possible for BB10 to be installed on an unlocked Android device? If BlackBerry could sell the OS boxed, like MS sells Windows as a boxed product, then that could allow for a potential income stream with little cost. As a download, that would not have any inventory issues and would allow for a greater penetration of the OS. People who want a PKB, would still get the fantastic hardware. But if you had a serviceable Samsung S5, for example, you could install BB10 on it and carry forward without having to buy a new device.

Imagine the disruption in the handheld market if that were to happen! People wouldn’t be forced to upgrade their devices. They could get BB10 and essentially keep their device and all their Android apps. There would still be those who upgrade to the latest and greatest, but I would suggest that those people are less than 50% of the developed world's market and even less of the developing world. I don't think BlackBerry handsets would be affected because people are buying BlackBerry handsets because they are well suited to getting stuff done and that's not going to change.

Now, this is all blue-sky conjecture on my part, but it does sound... compelling... doesn't it?

Hmmmm maybe they could get a version working on Apple hardware. Wouldn't that get Tim's knickers in an uproar!?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Schmurf.'s post:
  • MissoulaMarinerFan
Installing such a version of BB10 on Android phones would require the right drivers, as is the case with Linux and Windows (desktop).

Sure, BlackBerry could sell BB10 to end users to install on their non-BlackBerry phones, and the hardcore Android fans and some BB10 users would be interested. It would give users a great choice, since they could choose their hardware separately from their software. But it would make developing BB10 much more expensive and complex because they have to cover a much wider range of hardware. Having hardware makers develop the drivers themselves, as they do now with Android, would certainly reduce BlackBerry's costs.

If BlackBerry does implement the Android API in BB10, then that would allow Google to replace Android with that version of BB10, which would solve a lot of the problems that currently exist in Android. It's basically BlackBerry developing a platform to replace BB10 and Android, some of us have been saying for a while now. I still think it's BlackBerry's best choice now because it's a win-win solution, providing they can make Android's current data-mining and tracking code modular so that Google can add it to their version of BB10 and BlackBerry can omit it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bartron's post:
  • MissoulaMarinerFan
As just an off topic side note Bartron, my blue sky dream would be to see a full BB10 on a laptop...it would literally be the most useful and secure PC on the planet. After flicking away on this Passport for the better part of a year now...I'm always thinking "Man, how nice this would be on a laptop."
[-] The following 2 users Like fishlove73's post:
  • MissoulaMarinerFan, mscloutier
Bartron, thanks for the insight. I hadn't thought about the drivers. I wonder if that modularity would be part of this plan. You'd hope it would be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Schmurf.'s post:
  • MissoulaMarinerFan
(07-02-2016, 02:51 AM)bartron Wrote: BlackBerry obviously has something up their sleeve with regards to the future of BB10. I do believe they are committed to BB10. But the fact that they haven't given a BB10 roadmap for developers makes me think they're making a big change to BB10's API. That's making me wonder if they're going to be implementing the Android API in BB10.

In theory, all an Android developer would then have to do to get their Android app running on BB10 is recompile their Android app for BB10, and test it. In practice, I'm sure there would be something in the Android API that would behave differently in BB10, so devs would have to make some changes, but it should be relatively minor. That could really boost the number of native BB10 apps.

The suspense is driving me nuts. :-D
Nice thoughts bartron. I would also like to see a situation where BB10 runs Android apps without a hitch at all. 100 percent flawlessly.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes SipoKapumba's post:
  • MissoulaMarinerFan
(07-02-2016, 04:11 AM)fishlove73 Wrote: As just an off topic side note Bartron, my blue sky dream would be to see a full BB10 on a laptop...it would literally be the most useful and secure PC on the planet."

These days, the line between a tablet and a laptop is blurry. They could make something like a Surface tablet but running BB10 instead of Windows. I'd sure as hell buy one.
[-] The following 3 users Like bartron's post:
  • fishlove73, MissoulaMarinerFan, Schmurf.
You and almost all true BlackBerry users.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
[-] The following 2 users Like DickLewis13's post:
  • fishlove73, MissoulaMarinerFan
(07-02-2016, 05:26 AM)bartron Wrote: These days, the line between a tablet and a laptop is blurry. They could make something like a Surface tablet but running BB10 instead of Windows. I'd sure as hell buy one.

I'm sold, I'd buy two or three, one for myself, one for my wife and one for the kids to fight over. :)
Martin
BlackBerry 10 

[-] The following 1 user Likes mscloutier's post:
  • bartron
We will See BB10 OS maybe in another form. QNX is important to Blackberry so Maybe the next OS will be QNX(BB10) and android mixed.

BlackBerry don't release any roadmap cause no one release this thing any more... No company release RoadMap for devices.
In BlackBerry Just few People know about the next step. as it should be.
[-] The following 4 users Like SimpleBerryRoy's post:
  • bartron, Brad, ejup2009, mscloutier