Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BlackBerry Passport's battery life
I would like to know from my fellow Passport users, how long their battery lasts before needing a recharge.
I fully charged my Black Passport at 7 p.m. yesterday, put it in airplane mode when I slept at about 10.30 p.m., was up at 4 a.m. and started foruming on UTB, to pass time. Then I got into my work routine, while constantly using the device for the UTB forums, using Tapatalk.
I have Facebook, four email accounts, Skype and Tapatalk among the applications that are constantly running, with frequent checking of websites using the browser.
By 2 p.m. I was down to 7 percent battery life and needed to recharge. Including the time it was idle and in airplane mode as I slept, I got a total of about 19 hours from it. Is this normal?
I spent most of today on mobile data.
I'd say I'm a heavy user, though I rarely do video viewing, Netflix, play music, or perform other battery intensive tasks.
Please share your experiences.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
If Passport is new or recently upgraded, you need 48 hours or more for it to settle. Hard reset may help also.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
BTW, I charge overnight, never had a problem.
(03-02-2016, 06:06 AM)DickLewis13 Wrote: If Passport is new or recently upgraded, you need 48 hours or more for it to settle. Hard reset may help also.
The 48 hours after the software update ended on Friday, but the battery performance is below expectations.
I noticed, when I got the phone, that it was accidentally switched on during shipping inspection, and remained on for three weeks, until I got it, and the battery was below 10 percent.
I first recharged it fully using a 2 mAh power bank and not the 1.3 mAh stock charger, because I was away from a power source.
Subsequently, I've been charging it more often using the same power bank because I run out of juice away from a power source.
Could the power bank be the root cause of the poor battery performance?

I'd say 19 hours is pretty darn good as heavy as you use it - I've heard that skype is a battery hog. Also, being on mobile data only tends to eat up a lot of battery, because once it goes out of cellular range, it is consistently looking for another connection - especially if you have a lot of accounts connected to your phone.

That is just my. 02. though.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes MissoulaMarinerFan's post:
  • SipoKapumba
(03-02-2016, 07:18 AM)MissoulaMarinerFan Wrote: I'd say 19 hours is pretty darn good as heavy as you use it - I've heard that skype is a battery hog. Also, being on mobile data only tends to eat up a lot of battery, because once it goes out of cellular range, it is consistently looking for another connection - especially if you have a lot of accounts connected to your phone.

That is just my. 02. though.

Indeed, when I thought about it, 19 hours sounded fine, but BlackBerry said it would last for 30 hours with mixed use.
But again, it might not have lasted 19 hours if I had not stopped using it while I slept.

One thing you may try, use the charger that came with the phone and charge overnight.
Slower charge is better by far. Then give it a couple of days.
Then I would definitely do a hard reset.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DickLewis13's post:
  • Schmurf.
(03-02-2016, 07:31 AM)SipoKapumba Wrote: Indeed, when I thought about it, 19 hours sounded fine, but BlackBerry said it would last for 30 hours with mixed use.
But again, it might not have lasted 19 hours if I had not stopped using it while I slept.

I hear ya - but all carriers and cell phone manufacturers (yes, even BlackBerry) are full of baloney when they quote "hours of usage." What just about all of them mean about "mixed use" is between talk time and text messaging - they don't factor in email accounts, apps, etc querying and pulling data.

[-] The following 1 user Likes MissoulaMarinerFan's post:
  • Brad
Fully charged, the device monitor said I would only get 11 hours and my average battery life was 19 hours. I re-booted it this morning, so, I will see how it will perform now.

i get a solid 18-20 hrs min on heavy use. however, i do use the wifi when in office and home. like MMF said, skype is a battery drainer. after i finish using it i go to device monitor and close it.

one can also try to discharge the phone completely and recharge to 100%. this usually works for me when i have battery issues.