Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reinstall OS
im just curious, can you reinstall an OS or downgrade on the Priv like we do with BlackBerry 10? coz this is one way to trouble shoot and start fresh right.
I believe Android does have a wipe feature, or restore to factory settings.
No idea. And now I'm worried. Geeze, thanks Veeru!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
On a related note, if you are wiping the device because you are passing it on to someone else and want to delete your data, we were recommended to encrypt the device before wiping. That way the data would be scrambled and the encryption key is deleted along with the data. Supposedly that would make it extremely difficult to uncover the data.

If you were wanting to really bury the data, you would want to load dummy data after wiping, encrypt again, then wipe again. Repeat as often as your OCD requires you to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Schmurf.'s post:
  • Brad
(28-01-2016, 01:54 PM)Wayno Wrote: I believe Android does have a wipe feature, or restore to factory settings.

that would be equavalent of security wipe on BlackBerry. what about reloading the OS? or downgrading it?
(28-01-2016, 02:37 PM)Brad Wrote: No idea. And now I'm worried. Geeze, thanks Veeru!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Lol... i hope you will not need it.

(28-01-2016, 03:46 PM)Schmurf. Wrote: On a related note, if you are wiping the device because you are passing it on to someone else and want to delete your data, we were recommended to encrypt the device before wiping. That way the data would be scrambled and the encryption key is deleted along with the data. Supposedly that would make it extremely difficult to uncover the data.

If you were wanting to really bury the data, you would want to load dummy data after wiping, encrypt again, then wipe again. Repeat as often as your OCD requires you to.

thats a nice tip. is it the same for all android devices or just the Priv?
You can wipe the Priv. I believe you can downgrade on android such as nexus due to unlockable bootloader so highly unlikely or imossible that you can downgrade the Priv. But wiping is a non-issue. In fact, as per the article linked below from BlackBerry, the Priv has two types of wipes (Trusted and untrusted) and explains what to do when purchasing/selling second hand. 

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2015/11/p...w-and-faq/

Also, you can no longer downgrade on BB10 either as all previous OS version are black listed making it impossible.
(28-01-2016, 03:54 PM)veeru789 Wrote: thats a nice tip. is it the same for all android devices or just the Priv?

That was a comment for all Android devices. When we returned that GA Nexus 5X, that's what we did. Only had it for a week, but I wanted that thing wiped nice and clean. Haven't had to do that on the Priv and it looks like it's a keeper - she's quite happy with it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Schmurf.'s post:
  • Brad
Quite sure you can still downgrade OS, I've done it. Went back to Verizon official 10.3.2.858 once on the Classic.
Limitation is that you cannot go back lower than 10.3.2.500, meaning 10.3.1.xxxx is out of the question.

(29-01-2016, 12:06 AM)ray689 Wrote: Also, you can no longer downgrade on BB10 either as all previous OS version are black listed making it impossible.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
(29-01-2016, 01:25 AM)DickLewis13 Wrote: Quite sure you can still downgrade OS, I've done it. Went back to Verizon official 10.3.2.858 once on the Classic.
Limitation is that you cannot go back lower than 10.3.2.500, meaning 10.3.1.xxxx is out of the question.

So why the need to downgrade anyways? Is there issues with your OS version? I never downgraded before so not sure.