Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BlackBerry Assistant
(07-12-2015, 04:48 AM)Canuckvoip Wrote: It would be nice if the maps app had an offline option.

That's a very good point.

When I last had a satnav, they all had to link up with satellite.

Are there any apps out there that do this offline, and how does it know where you are and how far level to get to grips end destination?
(07-12-2015, 05:01 AM)Observation Junkie Wrote: That's a very good point.  

When I last had a satnav, they all had to link up with satellite.  

Are there any apps out there that do this offline, and how does it know where you are and how far level to get to grips end destination?

I use both Navfree and Mireo Don't Panic (paid). Both are offline where you download the maps/areas you are interested in. Then your phone just uses the built-in GPS function and your data plan is not used at all.
Logic dictates, but reason rules... DM

Farts are just the ghosts of the things we eat...
[-] The following 3 users Like Canuckvoip's post:
  • MissoulaMarinerFan, Observation Junkie, Schmurf.
(07-12-2015, 04:34 AM)DickLewis13 Wrote: Have Navigation in car, so never need BlackBerry Assistant.

I have Navi in my car too, but the roads have been changing so much and my 2012 car's mapping is so far out of date, it often looks like I am four by fouring in the farmer's field.
(07-12-2015, 05:10 AM)Canuckvoip Wrote: I use both Navfree and Mireo Don't Panic (paid). Both are offline where you download the maps/areas you are interested in. Then your phone just uses the built-in GPS function and your data plan is not used at all.

I'd be interested in Mireo if I needed mapping more often.
I'm quite happy with BlackBerry maps. have you guys tried it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes veeru789's post:
  • Schmurf.
(07-12-2015, 02:01 PM)veeru789 Wrote: I'm quite happy with BlackBerry maps. have you guys tried it.

On many occasions, yes.
Logic dictates, but reason rules... DM

Farts are just the ghosts of the things we eat...
I'm quite happy with BlackBerry Maps myself.
ok no offline maps, but for what little I use, it serves the purpose quite well.
I like BlackBerry maps and the turn by turn navigation. It has been pretty accurate for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes newcollector's post:
  • Schmurf.
(06-12-2015, 05:26 AM)Schmurf. Wrote: I have some challenges with it in that when I activate it, I don't always get the voice guidance along with it. When I'm driving, ot having the voice guidance pretty much makes it useless. I have no idea why the voice guidance comes and goes though. I've checked it over and fiddled with it many times and I can't find a rhyme or reason to it.

I have to agree. I've noticed the same thing. Sometimes the "BlackBerry lady" provides the prompting, other times I only hear the initial beep. In the latter scenario it's a toss-up whether my spoken query is even understood properly. There seems to be a better chance of it working if the Assistant app is already running before I try to invoke it either via the long-press of the mute key, or by using the car's Bluetooth calling option and speaking "call BlackBerry Assistant." The latter is possible because the phone creates a phantom contact entry for BlackBerry Assistant when it uploads the contact list to the car's Bluetooth dialler. Unfortunately I've never been able to figure out why it is inconsistent. That said, it generally only screws up when I'm trying to show it off to an iPhone or Android user:(
[-] The following 1 user Likes JWilKill's post:
  • Schmurf.