Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AT&T Priv purchased
I've returned my Priv. I'll either wait for the next BlackBerry Android or a serious update to the OS on the Priv.

Why?

- vibrate: it is terrible. Matching it to a Z30, Passport and Note 5
- Hub: well, let's just say I'd rather not use it. But, when adding an exchange account (Office 365), in order to check or send email, you'd need to use the Hub
- widgets: often if you restarted the device, the widgets wouldn't reappear. And this is with using the BlackBerry Launcher or the Nova Launcher
- file manager: you must install one. Why wouldn't there be an app already installed?
- price: for $749, I just felt I could save that money for another device

Now, if someone gave me a Priv free, I'd certainly keep and use and bare with the issues.
Honest reasons. And you have prior experience with Android and BlackBerry.

A question, if this was a Samsung or HTC device, would you have kept it?

Reason I'm asking, expectations. What you expect from a 'BlackBerry' device vs an Android maker. Because this is the issue I'm facing in my decision to get one or not. It looks like an amazing Android phone, but I expect more from a BlackBerry.

I expect BB10. Lol

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
[-] The following 2 users Like Brad's post:
  • Chaplain_Clancy, james pisano
Well that's a bit disappointing. I don't know much about widgets, but is it possible this is due to the extra security features BlackBerry added to the bootup process?

Hopefully they can get it all sorted out. I figured there would be some bugs making Android a bit more secure, but at least none seem like huge, unfixable issues, aside from the vibrate strength since it's a hardware thing.
(18-11-2015, 11:48 AM)ivantwilliams Wrote: I've returned my Priv. I'll either wait for the next BlackBerry Android or a serious update to the OS on the Priv.

Why?

- vibrate: it is terrible. Matching it to a Z30, Passport and Note 5
- Hub: well, let's just say I'd rather not use it. But, when adding an exchange account (Office 365), in order to check or send email, you'd need to use the Hub
- widgets: often if you restarted the device, the widgets wouldn't reappear. And this is with using the BlackBerry Launcher or the Nova Launcher
- file manager: you must install one. Why wouldn't there be an app already installed?
- price: for $749, I just felt I could save that money for another device

Now, if someone gave me a Priv free, I'd certainly keep and use and bare with the issues.

Sounds to me like you are nitpicking. None of those sound deal breakers to me. Especially when you have one of its kind hardware with security.

I have a Samsung tab2 and it crashes every two days. And its brand new. I think its the shifty android OS.
@Brad @veeru789, to put it simply, if I didn't pay the full $749.99, I would have kept it.
I didn't particularly want to pay for a Next program, thus paying monthly, hence I bought it outright. The weird thing is this, I was all set to keep it, and the Paris massacre happened, in addition to it being my birthday on Sunday. I started getting all reflective, and thinking that this is wasting money, we have people dying in the world, and you're buying a bloody $700+ mobile phone. Surely there is more to life, right?

So, there you have it. I miss the bloody device. My wife says I need to go back and get it. So, err, we'll see...
(19-11-2015, 06:35 AM)ivantwilliams Wrote: @Brad @veeru789, to put it simply, if I didn't pay the full $749.99, I would have kept it.
I didn't particularly want to pay for a Next program, thus paying monthly, hence I bought it outright. The weird thing is this, I was all set to keep it, and the Paris massacre happened, in addition to it being my birthday on Sunday. I started getting all reflective, and thinking that this is wasting money, we have people dying in the world, and you're buying a bloody $700+ mobile phone. Surely there is more to life, right?

So, there you have it. I miss the bloody device. My wife says I need to go back and get it. So, err, we'll see...

I totally get that Ivan.

I actually did the same sort of thing with my first Playbook. Minus the terrorism of course.

(19-11-2015, 07:39 AM)Brad Wrote: I totally get that Ivan.

I actually did the same sort of thing with my first Playbook. Minus the terrorism of course.

I'll have another Priv, by the weekend. I actually miss the bloody thing, too!
Yesterday, I was wavering back and forth on if I'd get one. Was just about to walk in the store when I read your post. Now I'm not one to take others opinions and let them stop me... But reading your post seemed like perfect timing. Like a message not to get one.

Well, today I saw your follow up message

And this is my first forum post from my new Priv. Lol

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
[-] The following 2 users Like Brad's post:
  • ivantwilliams, james pisano
So you couldn't resist eh? How is it?
Ivan, I understand when you say wasting money on devices. But on the bright side, you are not paying a company that uses slave labour.
[-] The following 1 user Likes veeru789's post:
  • james pisano