Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any DEVs in Here? (Free Apps)
So why do DEVs offer free apps in BBWorld? Is it because they are trying to make a name for themselves? Is it because they want to get you to buy the full version? Is there some other reason, I'm missing? I tend to distrust free stuff... Any comments?
Via BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 or Z30 or Classic on 10.3.2.556 or BB Playbook
I feel it is a form of 'free advertising'. I've tried quite a few free apps and ended paying for the additional features. And sometimes, like in the case of Wallpaper Changer HD, I sent a 'tip' to the developer just because! He just deserved it...
I use quite a few free apps that have paid versions. Most of those I use don't offer much more in the paid version. Even the .99 stuff.
most apps have inapp purchases or limited functionality. unless of course they have ads and steal your data.
As some commented, some Free Apps comes with Premium Features unlocked by In-App purchases. This is the best way, in my opinion, to provide an app for users allowing the users to use the app free and if needs bigger integration just unlock the premium features.

But there's also apps that simply goes Free and it can have different means. Some apps works to promote the work, others are simple apps that just goes free...

We should ask is why there's PAID Apps that are just WebView with mobile version of services!
BBM Pin: quenquen | BBM Channel: C003A038A
[-] The following 3 users Like quenquen's post:
  • bartron, BlackJack, james pisano
Sometimes they'll give away paid apps for free for a limited time or in limited numbers in order to get reviews as well.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brad's post:
  • james pisano
I haven't developed any BB10 apps yet, but if I give an app away for free it because it took little time to develop, or I want to promote the app and gain reviews and positive word of mouth.
That's an interesting angle I had not considered, Brad.

Great comments Quen!
Via BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 or Z30 or Classic on 10.3.2.556 or BB Playbook
I feel it is a form of 'free advertising' thank you
I use quite a few free apps that have paid versions