Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Apple's Swift Programming Language Be Available For BB10 ?
This week Apple announced that they're going to make their Swift programming language open source: https://developer.apple.com/swift/blog/?id=29

This could mean that Swift could be available on BB10. This would be good for BB10, since it would make it much easier for iOS developers to port their apps to BB10.

But there are lots of questions about what they mean when they say "open source". Will it be a truly open-source like Python, or will it be more like Android ?

We'll have to wait and see.

Have you programmed in Swift ? What's it like ? How does it compare to developing for BB10 ?
I'm not a dev so don't understand most of this. But what I can be sure of is, Open source and Apple in the same sentence ...hmm....nah...not possible. I'm sure theres a catch some where.
(11-06-2015, 01:19 PM)veeru789 Wrote: I'm not a dev so don't understand most of this. But what I can be sure of is, Open source and Apple in the same sentence ...hmm....nah...not possible. I'm sure theres a catch some where.

Apple has made some of their tech open source before. They've also worked on lots of open-source projects, including WebKit which is used in the BB10 browser. So I'm not that surprised that they're making Swift open source. But I am somewhat skeptical about it.
[-] The following 3 users Like bartron's post:
  • MissoulaMarinerFan, sethr, veeru789
So long as the parts used don't become a security issue, it'll be fine.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sethr's post:
  • bartron