Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classic ToolBelt Tips
Thought it would be nice to get everyone's input on tips regarding using the toolbelt on the Classic. One of our contributors intends to do a blob and we thought it would be good to get as much input as possible before hand. So if you are a Classic user, please add to the list in here!
Via BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 or Z30 or Classic on 10.3.2.556 or BB Playbook
Here are my three:

1) in the HUB, long press the trackpad on a thread/message and you will get the action menu to delete, select more, etc.

2) in the HUB, use the trackpad to highlight a message/thread you want to delete and then hit backspace to delete it.

3) from wherever you are, hit the end key to return to the home page
(29-05-2015, 02:48 AM)james pisano Wrote: Here are my three:

1) in the HUB, long press the trackpad on a thread/message and you will get the action menu to delete, select more, etc.

2) in the HUB, use the trackpad to highlight a message/thread you want to delete and then hit backspace to delete it.

3) from wherever you are, hit the end key to return to the home page
Excellent set of starter tips. However, tip number 3 means that Classic users can't make fun of ios and android user's home button anymore.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BB4tw's post:
  • veeru789
Oh cool so we're doing only things that you can do with the toolbelt that no other device can dream of? I think I'll pitch my tent here.
Well my most often used is shift - trackpad to accurately select text, then menu key to bring up copy/paste options. (sometimes you have to swipe down in the menu or press 'more' to find them.)
I find using the menu to be faster and more reliable than attempting to poke or long press at the on screen menu, which often doesn't show the cut copy, only paste.
For precision operations, such as adjusting the time on a video, activating small links, or using picture password nothing beats the trackpad because you can accurately position things(without your finger blocking the view) prior to activating them. For videos, put focus on the time slider, click it, then you can accurately position it prior to activation, which requires another click of the trackpad. Trying to do this accurately with just a finger is nonsense.
Yes, BJ, I love unlocking my Classic using the trackpad to activate picture password. You never need to touch the screen! Just position the number where it needs to be and click the trackpad. Awesome.
I also love the menu button. For instance, refreshing screens in this forum is made much easier; just hit menu and then refresh with the trackpad.

But it's not just the number of touches (swipes, screen buttons, etc.), it's also the reliability of the process for getting something done that makes it more efficient. When you have physical keys that always do the same thing, consistency becomes a source of efficiency and really, enjoyment of the OS and device (user experience).

The physical keyboard is similar; I would rather type slightly slower (although I know this is not the case) with a physical keyboard, than type faster and have to correct things after I'm finished and before I hit send, to insure there are no typos.

I think it's a certain mentality that appreciates these small details regarding productivity; probably type "A" people. LoL.
(29-05-2015, 03:06 AM)BB4tw Wrote: Excellent set of starter tips. However, tip number 3 means that Classic users can't make fun of ios and android user's home button anymore.

Oh yes we can! Because it serves other purposes (call end) and doesn't read your fingerprint and send it to the NSA! Big_smile2
Plus you don't have to poke it everytime you just want to exit an app.
(29-05-2015, 03:51 AM)james pisano Wrote: Yes, BJ, I love unlocking my Classic using the trackpad to activate picture password. You never need to touch the screen! Just position the number where it needs to be and click the trackpad. Awesome.

With touch only on picture password, you often hit the edge of the screen before you get your number lined up, then you have to start over with a new pattern, and often your finger blocks the view of your destination.
With the trackpad you can keep rowing until you get there, it doeosnt activate when you lift your finger, only when you specifically click the trackpad to tell it "ok it is lined up now.
No room for error, no retries. You work with only one pattern.

These little productivity enhancements with trackpad may not sound significant, but over the course of a day I must unlock my phone 200 times, the time adds up. plus what I need to do is often an emergency (example, call someone I just got off the phone with before they leave because I forgot something) and I have to get my phone open fast!