Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using A 128GB MicroSD Card
I just replaced my 64GB microSD card with a 128GB card, and noticed some issues you should know before getting one yourself.

For starters, you have to make sure you're connected to a network before inserting it into your phone for the first time. This is because when you insert the 128GB card into your BB10 phone the first time, you'll see a message telling you that the phone is downloading a driver for it. I'm pretty sure it's downloading the exFAT driver.

exFAT is a proprietary filesystem designed by Microsoft specifically for high-capacity removable storage like 128GB microSD cards. Platforms that wish to support exFAT have to license it from Microsoft.

Once BB10 has downloaded and installed the driver, you can use it just as you do 64GB and smaller cards (including using it in Mass Storage Mode), providing you're on Windows.

If you're on OSX or Linux, then you have some extra work to do, even if you want to connect your phone to your computer to use the phone in Mass Storage Mode:

OSX
exFAT has allegedly been supported since 10.6.5, but when I plugged the card into my Macbook Pro running 10.10.3, it said "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" and offered to eject, ignore or initialize the disk.

If you have no data on the card that you want to keep, you could try initializing it (make sure you select exFAT), but I don't know if that will cause problems with BB10 or other platforms that you may try to use the card with. And to be honest, I would trust BlackBerry with formatting my card far more than I would Apple, since BlackBerry has proven to be far more competent at software development than Apple.

Here's what I did to work around the problem:

1. plug the card or phone (with Mass Storage Mode enabled) into the Mac.
2. when you get the popup saying it the disk is not readable, just click "Ignore".
3. start Disk Utility.
4. locate the 128GB disk in the left-hand box of the Disk Utility window. That's your 128GB microSD card
5. take note of the disk number of the 128GB disk. e.g. disk4s1
6. start the Terminal app
7. create a folder to mount the microSD card on

e.g. in Terminal, type the command "sudo mkdir /Volumes/My128GBsdcard" and hit Enter. Enter your password when you're prompted to do so.

8. mount the 128GB microSD card by using the mount_exfat command, like this "$ mount_exfat /dev/<disk number from step #5> <name of folder created in step #7>

e.g. sudo mount_exfat /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/My128GBsdcard

Now you can use it as you normally do other microSD cards.
When you try to eject it, OSX will say someone else is using the disk. You need to use the "umount" command to eject it properly, like this:

$ sudo umount /Volumes/My128GBsdcard

Linux

I also tried using the 128GB microSD card with my other laptop running the latest version of Fedora (21) Linux and it didn't work immediately. Fedora simply didn't recognize exFAT. The fix was very simple: install the fuse-exfat package.

e.g. switch to root, and type the command "yum install fuse-exfat".

Once it's installed, you can use it as you use smaller disks. You don't have to reboot or configure anything, and you can even eject it from GUI file manager.

I hope this helps.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes bartron's post:
  • DickLewis13
To add a tip.
A LOT depends on brand as to what grief you'll get. Some have found that! Formatting exFat BEFORE putting in the phone,then formatting again in the phone works. I had to format a 32GB in the Passport three times before it liked it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sethr's post:
  • bartron
Besides brand, sure microSD needs to be Class 10 for that large capacity.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
[-] The following 2 users Like DickLewis13's post:
  • bartron, sethr
Thanks for the tip, I was considering of upgrading to 128 gb.
[-] The following 1 user Likes veeru789's post:
  • bartron
(15-05-2015, 10:20 AM)sethr Wrote: To add a tip.
A LOT depends on brand as to what grief you'll get. Some have found that! Formatting exFat BEFORE putting in the phone,then formatting again in the phone works. I had to format a 32GB in the Passport three times before it liked it.

Totally agree. I always recommend getting a name-brand card like SanDisk, Kingston, Lexar, etc.
  • sethr
(15-05-2015, 10:51 AM)DickLewis13 Wrote: Besides brand, sure microSD needs to be Class 10 for that large capacity.
Apparently (from what I have read) also U3, not just the U1. I presume by the time they got to 128GB cards they were doing U3, but you never know. The biggest balk you would get from a slow chip would be from video recording.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sethr's post:
  • bartron
I've heard some say the 128GB card has some potential disadvantages in terms of file retrieval time and time to format if necessary. I'm thinking about a 64GB or 128GB for my Z30, but not sure if a 128GB would be necessary or worth it.

Any comments?
Via BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 or Z30 or Classic on 10.3.2.556 or BB Playbook
A 128GB card will definitely take longer to format, but file retrieval probably wouldn't take longer. I'll take a look at the file system design and get back to you.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
  • MissoulaMarinerFan
Ok, thanks Bartron! Cool!
Via BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 or Z30 or Classic on 10.3.2.556 or BB Playbook
(17-05-2015, 12:30 PM)bartron Wrote: A 128GB card will definitely take longer to format, but file retrieval probably wouldn't take longer. I'll take a look at the file system design and get back to you.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
But, not substantially longer to format. The phone appears to be just quick formatting, which only modifies the card directory.
Presumably it is using the 4K sector alignment too.