Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever seen this? Phone or camera? Crazy
Why more powerful cameras might not matter
92% of modern smartphone users use their devices to take pictures, according to the Pew Research Center. Yet a 2014 IDC survey revealed that just 19% of iPhone users and 25% of Android users actually consider the camera's resolution to be a main purchase driver.

That's probably why Nokia failed to win over many users with the 41-megapixel camera on the Lumia 1020 in 2013. However, that didn't discourage companies from selling new smartphones with massive cameras. Samsung (NASDAQOTH: SSNLF  ) launched the Galaxy S4 Zoom, which looked more like a digital camera than a phone. That same year Sony started selling detachable lens for its Xperia smartphones.
Samsung's Galaxy S4 Zoom. Source: Samsung.
Those efforts also didn't gain much traction. Meanwhile, the iPhone 6 sold perfectly fine despite criticisms that its 8-megapixel camera was underpowered. This is likely due to the fact that smartphone photos are usually shared over social networks. Moreover, filters on Instagram and comparable apps can make mediocre digital photos look "professional."
Yup - the other factor is that when things get uploaded to social media, it lowers the quality of the image as well.

I've even seen where they make magnetic lenses of varying focus that you can stick over the camera lens of your smartphone.
The rise of camera phones (and the increased photo quality) has pretty much eliminated the point-and-shoot digital camera market. Now it seems there are either the cameras at the very bottom of the spectrum (think $30-$50 not-quite-disposable) or else the $300-$500+ DSLR cameras that range anywhere from low (which are still quite good) to professional grade.

I can't imagine using that S4 Zoom as an actual phone. That looks awkward to hold for calls, awkward for texting, and overall uncomfortable for everything besides taking pictures. (And, surprisingly, that's not just a dig on Android! lol)
Have to agree with Trev. That phone looks to be bulky and not easily managed. I'll stick with my Z30 for now.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
Actually the average consumer doesn't need more mega pixels. A better image processing software, maybe yes. But definitely not hardware. Most of time, its either a food or a selfie that they shoot.
(20-04-2015, 08:27 PM)veeru789 Wrote: Actually the average consumer doesn't need more mega pixels. A better image processing software, maybe yes. But definitely not hardware. Most of time, its either a food or a selfie that they shoot.

When I'm taking a selfie, the less pixels the better :|

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
Lol ^