Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using NFC on BlackBerry phones
It seems not many are familiar with NFC, yet there are complaints if a model doesn't have it.
Rather than get long winded, here is a great explanation from a BlackBerry blog.
Hope it helps.

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2013/08/h...martphone/
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
That's a good guide *****. 

One thing I feel people forget or don't realise is that NFC is cross platform, so if your friend is not enlightened enough to use a BlackBerry and so long as they don't use iPhone you can share with them. No problem. 

It doesn't have to be files or pictures either, you can add BBM contact or share a contact card via NFC . 
[-] The following 2 users Like davemorgan's post:
  • DickLewis13, Nnik
Nice, Dave. As usual iPhone doesn't count for much.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
I use NFC all the time to transfer files. It's also an excellent way to pair bluetooth devices.

I am one of the people that you will see complain about a phone not having NFC. I was going to buy several Leaps as a z10 for my son and nephews but held off on the purchase due to the apparent lack of NFC. I could have gone ahead and bought them since they would be for children but these children are teenagers that actually use it to share music. I honestly feel that if the Leap is to target small business owners, NFC is a must.

In Oct of this year the financial institutions will commence what is known as the liability shift. Read more here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV.

Even though this has to do with debit/credit card transactions, it will bring about a higher demand for NFC based transactions as well. This is why NFC availability on smart phones will be a must. Anyway, we can EMV for hours as it is a big and complicated subject but for now it makes a great way to make payments and share files.

Fun fact about BlackBerry 10 NFC and WiFi Direct enabled devices. If both BlackBerry 10 devices are on the same WiFi connection and you transfer a large file and they both have WiFi Direct, BlackBerry 10 will automatically switch to a WiFi Direct transfer for faster speeds.
"Encryption is the defense against the dark arts in the digital realm" - Edward Snowden
[-] The following 2 users Like Robert's post:
  • DickLewis13, Nnik
Every once in a while I use NFC. But it seems easier and a more sure way to share info is thru text, email, or BBM. A lot of people have Samsung phones and do not have it turned on, and don't even know what it is and how to use it. It is frustrating because I have to set up their Android phone so they cause it. And for many, once you set it up, it won't work because they need to delet stuff because of an error message of not enough memory. BlackBerry is a whole lot easier to use than Android. In my humble opinion.
(14-04-2015, 12:12 AM)Robert Wrote: Fun fact about BlackBerry 10 NFC and WiFi Direct enabled devices. If both BlackBerry 10 devices are on the same WiFi connection and you transfer a large file and they both have WiFi Direct, BlackBerry 10 will automatically switch to a WiFi Direct transfer for faster speeds.

That's cool. I tend to select WiFi direct manually. Didn't know it does automatically.
[-] The following 1 user Likes veeru789's post:
  • MissoulaMarinerFan
Robert - how would you use it to pair Bluetooth devices? I have a BlackBerry keyboard and BlackBerry mini bluetooth speaker that I'm using with two BB10 phones and it's a pain to get them to pair sometimes because they want to pair with the last phone they were paired with before.

For example, I use the mini speaker with my Q10 to watch a YouTube video and later, want to use it with my Z30 to drive music on my stereo. When I go to make a connection with my Z30, the speaker wants to pair with the Q10...

Would NFC somehow help this?

(14-04-2015, 12:12 AM)Robert Wrote: I use NFC all the time to transfer files. It's also an excellent way to pair bluetooth devices.

I am one of the people that you will see complain about a phone not having NFC. I was going to buy several Leaps as a z10 for my son and nephews but held off on the purchase due to the apparent lack of NFC. I could have gone ahead and bought them since they would be for children but these children are teenagers that actually use it to share music. I honestly feel that if the Leap is to target small business owners, NFC is a must.

In Oct of this year the financial institutions will commence what is known as the liability shift. Read more here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV.

Even though this has to do with debit/credit card transactions, it will bring about a higher demand for NFC based transactions as well. This is why NFC availability on smart phones will be a must. Anyway, we can EMV for hours as it is a big and complicated subject but for now it makes a great way to make payments and share files.

Fun fact about BlackBerry 10 NFC and WiFi Direct enabled devices. If both BlackBerry 10 devices are on the same WiFi connection and you transfer a large file and they both have WiFi Direct, BlackBerry 10 will automatically switch to a WiFi Direct transfer for faster speeds.
Via BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 or Z30 or Classic on 10.3.2.556 or BB Playbook
I know what NFC is, and I have NEVER used it. Maybe because not too many 'others' use it or even know what it is.
It reminds me of when the original Bluetooth came out. No one had hardware to use it, and those that did, well, they were a little clueless at the time. Now, everybody and their Mama has and uses a Bluetooth, of sorts.
I would seriously consider buying a Leap as well. ...if it had NFC
That's like a chinless Z30