Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFC security?
Just how secure do you think it is in light of news like this?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I will not use NFC for any type of financial business. I don't even have it turned on unless I'm holding my phone and using it for something. Why lock the doors and leave a window open?

Cash is king. Cash can't be hacked. Cash can't be overdrawn. Cash can't be charged hidden fees. (in fact cash can often get you a discount). While it can be stolen, your losses are limited to what you had on hand. If someone steals a 10 from you they can't use it to empty your account.
[-] The following 2 users Like BB4tw's post:
  • , BlackJack
Bears some looking at to be sure. I would like to try it out with my bank when available. It would be interesting to try and hack my own info if I could... just to be sure.
Logic dictates, but reason rules... DM

Farts are just the ghosts of the things we eat...
The CBC/SRC did a report about this in 2012. It was an eye opener.

You can use your phone to skim the info from an RFID card. All you have to do is install an app that skims the info. Not surprisingly, Android lets you do that and there’s a free Android app that lets you do that.

To defend against this, you can simply make or buy a RFID-blocking wallet or sleeve.

To protect your phone, make sure you have the ‘Prompt Before Sending’ and ‘Prompt Before Receiving’ settings turned On, and have the ‘When Device Is Turned Off’ turned Off.
I'm ok with NFC and credit cards as long as the banks cover all losses. Keep the bank account empty and credit cards maxed out and you are almost bullet proof lol.
[-] The following 3 users Like rayj's post:
  • , bartron, BB4tw
I also got a RFID-blocking sleeve for my passport. I asked Passport Canada if the new passports had RFID-blocking covers, but I didn't get a straight answer.
(11-02-2015, 10:00 AM)BB4tw Wrote: I will not use NFC for any type of financial business. I don't even have it turned on unless I'm holding my phone and using it for something. Why lock the doors and leave a window open?

Cash is king. Cash can't be hacked. Cash can't be overdrawn. Cash can't be charged hidden fees. (in fact cash can often get you a discount). While it can be stolen, your losses are limited to what you had on hand. If someone steals a 10 from you they can't use it to empty your account.

Which is precisely why the power that be are pushing us towards a cashless society daily.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ray689's post:
  • BlackJack
I think they are counting on the ease of use by the consumer. Just tap and go instead of carefully counting your money and ensuring that you get the correct change. Blackjack, thanks for posting that article. It is very important for us, despite the ease of using NFC, to also be aware of the dangers of using it.
Posted via my BlackBerry Priv.
[-] The following 1 user Likes web99's post:
  • BlackJack
For the tech savvy it may or may not be an issue, for the non tech savvy this will be an open door. Just like for those who buy a PC and know nothing of Antivirus software, firewalls etc. I feel sorry for the grandma's and grandpa's who unknowingly provide a server base for hackers and malicious attackers. My mother's caretakers witnessed the sheriff dept. and swat team show up at their neighbor's house, who's computer was sending threatening emails to the sheriff's department.
(11-02-2015, 06:13 PM)BlackJack Wrote: For the tech savvy it may or may not be an issue, for the non tech savvy this will be an open door. Just like for those who buy a PC and know nothing of Antivirus software, firewalls etc. I feel sorry for the grandma's and grandpa's who unknowingly provide a server base for hackers and malicious attackers. My mother's caretakers witnessed the sheriff dept. and swat team show up at their neighbor's house, who's computer was sending threatening emails to the sheriff's department.

And it will be those grandmas and grandpas who eat up the Apple pay marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes ray689's post:
  • bartron