Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why I'm liking UTB
I'm here for the beer!
Logic dictates, but reason rules... DM

Farts are just the ghosts of the things we eat...
Habs!! So glad you're here! Woot!!

And I bet I know who you're talking about. Orr I don't. :D
Great stuff James, spot on. And Spade will exterminate any sign of leg humping immediately.

(06-04-2014, 01:53 PM)Canuckvoip Wrote: I'm here for the beer!

Here you go Canuck! *cold beer pours into glass...*
This place is like a breath of fresh air, I don't miss any other forum in the least. If I'm looking for tech know and do a net search I don't even click on links going to other sites because I want this one brought up on Google. The more we use this site the more knowledgeable people will migrate to it. Then the idiots can see where they go because the kind of crap @james was talking about won't be tolerated here
(05-04-2014, 03:12 PM)james pisano Wrote: So here's another reason; lack of brain damage! A friend recently pointed me to yet another iteration of a recurring thread on another forum, where the OP complains about the new way of answering calls on 10.2, i.e. slide the button to the side rather than slide the bar down.

The same members (ironic use of the word), post the same comments they have on multiple occasions and make the same, mundane, uninspired points. BB doesn't listen, that's why they're going out of business, it hurts my finger to answer the phone now, it's just like Android, I'm not answering calls until they change it, etc., etc.

It's really brain damage for the people who go around the forums looking to offer advice (not me yet) cause they see the same stupid stuff over and over. One guy implored me not to add a comment cause it would "wake up" that thread. I desperately wanted to cause the thread was so comical, but didn't have the heart.

Anyway, no brain damage on UTB...

If I'm not mistaken, the answer call feature was changed because of the z30 and to be honest I have always found that whole argument you're referring to just plain idiotic. I thought some of those people were going to have an epileptic seizure or something if BlackBerry didn't put it back the way it was.

Glad to see your enjoying UTB.
I miss that call screen.... I wanna see it back

Or else I'm going Ubuntu.... hahhahahaha not
(07-04-2014, 12:35 PM)Spade Wrote: I miss that call screen.... I wanna see it back

You're right Spade. Since my last post, I've noticed my thumb is sprained from answering the phone with the new way. I'll probably sue. It's all very logical.

:D
Via BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 or Z30 or Classic on 10.3.2.556 or BB Playbook
(08-04-2014, 07:03 AM)james pisano Wrote:
(07-04-2014, 12:35 PM)Spade Wrote: I miss that call screen.... I wanna see it back

You're right Spade. Since my last post, I've noticed my thumb is sprained from answering the phone with the new way. I'll probably sue. It's all very logical.

:D

Lmao!
"If you can't soar with the eagles, then don't fly with the flock!"
Brad, MePiikan, et al.

I was reading someone's post about the UTB app upgrade and thought of something that you guys might find useful.

Here are three messages that may resonate with potential members:
1) UTB - a refreshing alternative...
2) UTB - no brain damage...
3) UTB - it's troll free, just type http://www.utbblogs.com

These ideas require development, but maybe they are the seeds of some twitter tweets or some marketing verbiage.

They are all variations on a theme, but slightly different.
#1) Points to UTB being run by actual BB fans who use BB as their PRIMARY devices and actually WANT BB to succeed. Therefore, the news, commentary and articles, while being objective, will reflect this. UTB does NOT engage in "click-baiting" or purposefully taking controversial positions on current events just to increase eyeballs on the site.
#2) Has to do with how the forums are moderated. Meaning, you guys do your best to eliminate some of the excesses that may occur on forums that are moderated less vigorously. So you try and eliminate excessive repetition of the same issues, and may organize the forums a little more comprehensively, so you can move posts to places where they belong. It's obvious that there are three categories of people on a forum like this: 1) people who gain more technical knowledge than they provide, 2) people who provide more technical knowledge than they gain, and 3) people who do a little of both. The lack of brain damage is appealing to category #2 people...
#3) This is fairly obvious and has to do with how the forums are moderated as well. UTB draws a line in the sand and says "Hey- if you are a BB fan, you will not have to tolerate people who visit here specifically to crap on BB." It also says, "Hey- if you are a primary user/fan of another platform, you better tread very lightly here and be ready for some negative opinions about your platform." This aspect is attractive to anyone who is a fan-user of BB and who has gotten into more than a couple arguments on other forums or even had to skim past those types of negative comments.

I think UTB's future will depend on your ability to be specific about your values/mission/vision, find people who support it and are willing to contribute, and maintain this as you scale. A lot of the difference and therefore, the success of UTB, will depend on how vigorously and how specifically, the forums are managed.

You guys are already committed to no trolling, but you may consider the brain damage aspect and think of how you might further delineate the way the forums are organized. I don't know exactly what this means, but possibly you would be more specific about the topics so instead of having one big section for BB10, you might break it down into smaller subsets. This may allow for someone to do smaller searches before they post something and see that something has already been covered. You may also force someone to check a few boxes before they post, e.g. "check here to indicate you searched for your subject," something like that. This stuff requires more thought and development, but my point is, your success will depend on how you manage the forums as you grow.

Anyway, just some ideas! Glad to be a member!
Via BlackBerry Z10 or Q10 or Z30 or Classic on 10.3.2.556 or BB Playbook
Your ideas are always welcome here James. You make very valid points and they will definitely be taken into consideration. The best way to build a fan site is to listen to the fans. What a novel idea hey?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ray689's post:
  • MissoulaMarinerFan