Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BlackBerry 10 Developer's Guide
Brick 
The purpose of this topic is to provide a step-by-step guide that will take you from obtaining the relevant accounts and IDS, setting up your computer, coding your first app, building a signed .bar file for upload to BlackBerry World, and finally the upload process.

This post has been reposted from the blog at: http://www.brizberrydevs.co.uk/blog

Part One: Before You Start

Welcome to the first in our BlackBerry 10 Development tutorials. Whilst you may be eager to get started, before you can begin building your first app there are a number of things that you will need to have in place: a BlackBerry ID (if you don't already have one), a BlackBerry World Vendor Account and a signing token (used to digitally sign apps). When you've signed up for your BlackBerry ID, it's also a good idea to use it to sign into the BlackBerry Developer website: http://developer.blackberry.com.

BlackBerry ID (BBID)

Obtaining a BBID is simple, and can be done one of two ways: as part of the "Setup" that runs on BlackBerry devices when started for the first time (or when an new OS is installed), or using the BBID website: http://blackberryid.blackberry.com.
With either method, you will need to supply a your First and Second Names, a screen name (how your name appears in various BlackBerry contexts, including the Developer Forums), a valid email address (which doubles as your BBID User Name) and a password, which you will need to enter twice for verification purposes. You will also be prompted to enter a Password Recovery Question and Answer (try to make this as unique to you as possible, and be careful of the spelling of your Answer (which is case-sensitive, meaning "BrizBerry" is different from "brizberry"). Decide whether or not you want to receive emails from BlackBerry, enter the verification code from the image and read the Terms & Conditions. When you're done, click the Submit button.
You will need to confirm your email before you can apply for a BBID token, so log in to your newly-created account and click the blue "Confirm my Email" link. This sends an email to the address you used when you signed up. Click the link in the email to confirm it, and you're ready to proceed to the next step: a BlackBerry World Vendor Account.

BlackBerry World Vendor Account

In order to upload your apps to BlackBerry World https://developer.blackberry.com/codesigning/- whether when completed for general download, or for beta-testing prior to release (more on that in a later tutorial) - you will need to sign up for a Vendor Account. Visit https://appworld.blackberry.com/isvportal/home.do and click on the "Register" link on the top right-hand side of the page.

The following page is the start of a multi-page form that is nowhere near as daunting as it seems! Read through the Vendor Agreement carefully (save and/or print it if you so wish) before ticking the box to indicate you've done so; in the second section, whether you intend to sell your apps or not, click on "Nope, everything is for free", then click on the button marked "Continue" at the bottom of the page.
Please note: It is simpler and quicker to set up your Vendor Account as free only to begin with, then add the sales option later, after the Vendor Account has been approved.

On the following page, you are requested to fill out the details of the Vendor Account's administrator. If you are an individual developer, this will be your own information; if you are part of a group or company publishing apps under a single name, you must choose one person to control the account.
After filling in the Vendor Account administrator's email, first and last names, and telephone number (required) you must enter and then verify a password for the account, before clicking the "Continue" button to move on.

The third page of this form is where you get to customize things a little - you can upload an image (we suggest .jpeg or .png format, and 480x480 pixels minimum) and choose an account Name. The account name is what potential your potential customers see under the name of your app, so it's a good idea to double- (and triple-) check your spelling!
Once you're sure that you're happy with the image and with your account Name, click the "Continue" button.

The final part of the form deals with payment - that is, how BlackBerry will send you the proceeds of any app sales you make in the future - and appears despite the "Everything's free" selection on the first screen. Currently, the only method BlackBerry use for app payments is PayPal - simply sign in to PayPal using the dialog on the right hand side of the screen, read and agree to the terms and conditions, and you're done!

Okay, actually we're not done quite yet. Once you have submitted your payment details, you will be informed that the account details will be verified and that the address you selected during the sign-up process will receive an email.

This email will ask you to reply with front and back scans of a government-issued ID document (if you are registering as an individual) or official documentation to validate your company information, such as Articles of Incorporation or a Business License (if registering as a company). When this ID has been received and reviewed by BlackBerry, you will receive another email to confirm that your Vendor account has become active (or if your account has been denied). This email can take from a day to a week to arrive; if after a week you still haven't received it, the best option is to send a message on Twitter to @BlackBerryDev, the official BlackBerry developer-focused account. This often then results in you receiving the email the same or next working day.

When you do receive the email, your account will be set up and ready for you to upload apps; while you wait for it, we'll move on to the next step: getting a BlackBerry ID Token.

BBID Token

Now your BBID is set up, it's time to sort out your BBID token so you can digitally sign your apps (a requirement for publishing apps to BlackBerry World). Sign in with your BlackBerry ID via this link: https://developer.blackberry.com/codesigning/ and you will be taken to a page that is part of BlackBerry's "Jam Zone" - a kind of social portal for BlackBerry developers (See thread, below).
This page will ask you to enter a password you WILL NEED TO MAKE A NOTE OF as you will need it to set up your developer environment and to sign apps before uploading them to BlackBerry World. Re-enter the password for verification and click "Get Token >>". You will be prompted to download a file named bbidtoken.csk. Download the file to the following location (depending on the Operating System used by your computer):

Windows XP: %HOMEPATH%\Local Settings\Application Data\Research In Motion

Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8: %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Research In Motion

Mac OS: ~/Library/Research In Motion

Unix / Linux: ~/.rim

After the file is downloaded, you will be reminded of two points: your BBID token is valid for one year; and BlackBerry CANNOT retrieve your BBID token password - if you forget it, you will have to register for another.
From this page you can access the BlackBerry Developer Forums from the link at the top of the page. This website will be invaluable as you develop apps for BlackBerry - not only because you will be able to read how other people solved similar issues to those you might have, but also because you can ask questions of the BlackBerry Developer community - someone, somewhere will be able to help point you in the right direction!

That's all for this first tutorial - in the second, we'll download all the tools we will need, then set up our developer environment.

NOTE: Edited to include Bartron's information about government ID & business documentation. Thanks, Bartron!! :D
[-] The following 7 users Like BrizBerryDevs's post:
  • Azensun, bartron, DickLewis13, newcollector, Robert, veeru789, Vorkosigan
Thanks for posting this! It's clear, and concise!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Azensun's post:
  • bartron
Great post Briz. I'm hoping to start BB10 development this month, so this is very timely for me. Thanks.
Thanks, Bartron!
If you need anything, just let me know and I'll do what I can :)
Great post and great info. I'm sure it will be very helpful to anyone looking to get into developing.
I just registered as an individual. I got an e-mail saying my request has been received, and that I have to submit a copy (front and back) of an official government-issued ID clearly showing my name and date of birth. Had I registered as a company, then, according to the e-mail, I would have to submit "Official documentation to validate your company information (ex. Articles of Incorporation, Business License)".

I also filled a profile for the Jam Zone. I don't know what that is, but I figured it couldn't hurt to sign up. :-)
[-] The following 1 user Likes bartron's post:
  • BrizBerryDevs
(12-01-2015, 08:18 AM)bartron Wrote: I just registered as an individual. I got an e-mail saying my request has been received, and that I have to submit a copy (front and back) of an official government-issued ID clearly showing my name and date of birth. Had I registered as a company, then, according to the e-mail, I would have to submit "Official documentation to validate your company information (ex. Articles of Incorporation, Business License)".

I also filled a profile for the Jam Zone. I don't know what that is, but I figured it couldn't hurt to sign up. :-)

Thanks for letting me know, Bartron - I'll add the government-issued ID information to the original post :)

FYI, Jam Zone is a social platform for BlackBerry developers - you can access developer news, forums, submit your app for Built for BlackBerry status, and so on. It's a useful launchpad to reach some of the resources you'll use as you develop apps.
Jam Zone is also where you request your BBID token (via the "Code Signing" link at the top of the page :)
[-] The following 1 user Likes BrizBerryDevs's post:
  • bartron
Hmmm... the requirement for ID is new. When I signed up there was no need. Interesting
Logic dictates, but reason rules... DM

Farts are just the ghosts of the things we eat...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Canuckvoip's post:
  • bartron
I had to submit the ID for the app generator app we used at first. Took pics and e-mailed with my BlackBerry. Lol

What a difference a Chen makes!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brad's post:
  • bartron
That's how I'm planning on doing it.