Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Latest Spotted OS
I pay no attention to naysayers and iDiots.
BB10 ain't dead.

Now back on topic, 2454 is the last I have seen lately.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
I just thought I'd add a little spice to your thread DL. Lol
Interesting, since nothing for 10.3.4 yet, I doubt that we will see 10.4.0 for quite a while.

(17-02-2017, 07:22 PM)shorski Wrote: Or 10.3.4 or 10.4.0 has started but haven't made it to the servers.
Unfortunately BlackBerry's statement of commitment to BB10 and statement that there will be a 10.3.4 cannot be relied on. A statement of commitment from BlackBerry is not a guarantee.

Besides, I've said before, the OS doesn't matter much without an assurance of new hardware. So far as we know there is no new hardware even way over the horizon.

Not bashing. Just trying to see things as they are. The Passports my wife and I use now are almost certainly the last BlackBerry devices we use, there will not be a 10.4, and 10.3.4 is uncertain.

- Ira
[-] The following 1 user Likes aiharkness's post:
  • ClarkAaron27
We did get assurances that BB10 would be kept secure. If updates are far apart, we cannot lose sight of what has been ascertained.
Far too many businesses and governments depend on that security. Let's keep an open mind and let it play itself out in time.
I know this has been argued ad nauseum but I must point this out: When my employer used BlackBerry it upgraded every two years. I don't think any other employer is different. Yes, there is the odd employee who doesn't want to upgrade and is allowed to keep using the old device, but that doesn't last forever and eventually the employee upgrades. I know some of those people.

And yes, there are some employees using employer issued BB10 models. I occasionally see the rare Q10 and Classic. I even saw a Z10 a few weeks ago that was employer-issued. But how long is this supposed to go on?

Again, let's assume governments and other user's who require the security really exist in numbers and BlackBerry is really committed to maintaining the security of BB10 for that significant sized customer. Where is the new hardware. Are employers going to keep using devices that are three and four years old and plan on using them another two or three years beyond that. Those supposed customers need replacement hardware soon, if not now, and it isn't coming. At least we have no reason to believe it is coming.

My mind is open. But it isn't optimistic in spite of facts and logic.

- Ira
First off, age of phone ain't that big of a deal, my wife's phone is about 5 years old, she won't spend the money on a new one.
More importantly, we shouldn't sound too negatively about BlackBerry on a BlackBerry fan site.
I do agree I would love to see a new BB10 device, no matter which type or upgrade.
(29-03-2017, 01:38 AM)aiharkness Wrote: I know this has been argued ad nauseum but I must point this out: When my employer used BlackBerry it upgraded every two years. I don't think any other employer is different. Yes, there is the odd employee who doesn't want to upgrade and is allowed to keep using the old device, but that doesn't last forever and eventually the employee upgrades. I know some of those people.

And yes, there are some employees using employer issued BB10 models. I occasionally see the rare Q10 and Classic. I even saw a Z10 a few weeks ago that was employer-issued. But how long is this supposed to go on?

Again, let's assume governments and other user's who require the security really exist in numbers and BlackBerry is really committed to maintaining the security of BB10 for that significant sized customer. Where is the new hardware. Are employers going to keep using devices that are three and four years old and plan on using them another two or three years beyond that. Those supposed customers need replacement hardware soon, if not now, and it isn't coming. At least we have no reason to believe it is coming.

My mind is open. But it isn't optimistic in spite of facts and logic.

- Ira
All very good points, Ali. This is exactly why I decided to move on to BlackDroid. And it has been interesting. I have been a member of a BBM group that was titled BB10 Bros. It started when we all migrated from bbos to BB10. Now there is only one on BB10. The rest of us have moved to pure Android or BlackDroid. And the one on BB10 has ordered a Priv.

What is happening in groups must also be happening elsewhere. A few people keep their phones for many years until they become annoyingly unreliable or broken. When that happens people get a new phone. In the case of BlackBerry there aren't any new BB10 phones. The longer there aren't new BB10 devices, the less likely a person is going to upgrade to a new device just like their old one.

I am not being negative. Just stating the facts as I see them. I loved BB10, but all indications are that BlackBerry will support the OS on the software side, but they are not designing or partnering with someone to produce a BB10 device.

BlackBerry is committed to keeping secure Android. They do have partners who will produce the new hardware. The release of the Passport was November of 2014. No BB10 devices rumored since then. Only BlackDroid. No BB10 but 5 BlackDroid (including KEYone and Aurora).

So far the score tells the story. This is not negative toward BlackBerry. It is positive because they are changing with the times. They are allocating time and resources to produce what has the greatest possibility of being sold. I am sure it was not an easy decision, but I believe a necessary one.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv
I tend to agree with N.C. But I'm hoping that in the future there will be a licensed partner to build BB10 devices.
Realistically, finding a licensing partner is the only hope for BB10 short of security based OS updates. BlackBerry isn't making devices anymore.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk