Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Latest Spotted OS
It doesn't make much difference to me, since it looks like I'll be switching to Android when I start working again -- which is why I bought a Priv a while ago. Unless my employer changes their mind...yet again.

BB10 is my favourite, but I'm a consummate profession and thus I'll switch to Android if that's what I need for my job and career.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bartron's post:
  • newcollector
It would be nice to see a meaningful update. A browser update would be great as I am starting get notices that some sites don't support the browser as they sense it as being out of date.

DL, keep us updated on any progress! :D
Trying, Schmurf. Not a lot of news, unfortunately.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
Too quiet on the BlackBerry front.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure the work they're doing on BB10 is for IoT/EoT, and maybe high-security customers (government, law enforcement, military, etc.)

I doubt they're planning on releasing new BB10 phones. If they do, I'm sure they'll just take an Android phone that's already profitable, and simply load BB10 on it instead of Android -- minimal effort, minimal risk. But even then, I suspect it would only be available to high-security customers who are willing to pay lots of money for a never-been-hacked platform. If that's true, then it's quite possible that the public will never even hear of those phones.
May be correct. But it will take some work to put BB10 on an Android phone. Some hardware would definitely have to be changed.
(19-08-2017, 12:15 AM)bartron Wrote: I'm pretty sure the work they're doing on BB10 is for IoT/EoT, and maybe high-security customers (government, law enforcement, military, etc.)

I doubt they're planning on releasing new BB10 phones. If they do, I'm sure they'll just take an Android phone that's already profitable, and simply load BB10 on it instead of Android -- minimal effort, minimal risk. But even then, I suspect it would only be available to high-security customers who are willing to pay lots of money for a never-been-hacked platform. If that's true, then it's quite possible that the public will never even hear of those phones.

The best guess seems to be anything new with BB10 will be bug fixes and security patches. There were some new features with the last update, but those were only at the margins. Expect anything, but don't hope for new functionality. .... Why would BlackBerry expand functionality on an all but dead platform when BlackBerry isn't even manufacturing devices anymore?

As far as new BB10 hardware, forget it. There is no doubt at this point, in my opinion. There is no base of customers who require BB10 security and can only get it with BB10, either; their needs are being met by other products, or else not but they don't care. If there was a market for BB10 we would be seeing or hearing something by now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes aiharkness's post:
  • newcollector
At this point there is nothing to give hope to a BB10 resurgence...sadly there never was a BB10 surge so a resurgence is not really accurate. BlackBerry's security mindset is not the world's mindset. Security yes, but also flexibility and an app culture makes it a compromise at best.

Played with my Passport yesterday. It really is a great OS. So easy and simple to use, yet very powerful. But the power that is, the $$$ have spoken. So now we are on to securing Android and BB10 is the overlooked genius in the corner. And Life goes on...

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
Reply inline.

(19-08-2017, 01:48 AM)aiharkness Wrote: The best guess seems to be anything new with BB10 will be bug fixes and security patches.

This is a given, if there is a new OS update, Security will be front and center.

There is no base of customers who require BB10 security and can only get it with BB10

You seem to forget how many governments still use BlackBerry for the security. Does it help, nope, not enough.
Comment here separately.
It seems that BlackBerry went the way they did because of all the negativity that was posted.
A certain site likely helped kill BB10 by itself, or at least 85% to 90% of it.
BlackBerry changed their marketing strategy, focus on software and security solutions, let someone else do hardware.
I for one accept their new direction, it's time that everyone quit bitching and do the same. ( This is NOT directed at any particular person or poster ).
We are supposedly a BlackBerry fan site, so negativity and disparaging remarks toward BlackBerry, Ltd should not be part of our posts.
Nothing is gonna change, we are NOT gonna see a new BB10 device. Live and Live. Just MNSHO.