Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10
Not got the upgrade notification on any of the 3 PC's in the house (2 on Win 7, 1 on Win 8.1) so I'm wondering if it's worth forcing the update on the Win 8 machine? It's the one we use least (it was actually gathering dust and a Win 7 laptop replaced it on the grounds it was a pain in the rear).

If I force it does anyone have the official link? I'm always wary with Microsoft of downloading some fake crap someone puts out there pretending to be them. And why haven't we had any notifications yet?
Microsoft.com?
Firstly, go to “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” and select and delete all the files which are present over there. Don’t worry, these files are needed to be  deleted so that Windows Update is given a quick refresh and you can check for the update. Also, note that we have used “C:” drive here, you’ll need to replace it with different drive letter if you have installed windows somewhere else.

Next, open Control Panel and run “Windows Update” by clicking on it. Next, you need to type “cmd” in search bar and right click on it and select “Run as Administrator”. This will open up the Windows Command Prompt. Now, in Windows Command Prompt Windows so opened, type “wuauclt.exe /updatenow” (without inverted commas) BUT don’t execute this command yet. Simply type the Command and read on.

After writing the command, switch to Windows Update and click on “Check for Updates” option present on the left-hand side of the Window. After clicking, you will see a message saying “Checking for updates …..”. Now, while it is happening in the background, switch back to command prompt and execute the command which you have already written in the previous step by hitting Enter Key.

(taken from: http://trickedpc.com/blog/best-trick-to-...10-update/)

This is what I used to force the update on my daughter's netbook - worked fine :)
Ok... I got scared as soon as you told me to delete some files.

Isn't there an easier way?
No unfortunately not. As long as you follow the instructions, it'll be fine

Read the full article if you feel it'll help :)
Biggly, try for the Windows 10 upgrade for the Win 8 machine.
I will not upgrade my Windows 10 Ultimate, your choice.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
(01-09-2015, 07:12 AM)DickLewis13 Wrote: Biggly, try for the Windows 10 upgrade for the Win 8 machine.
I will not upgrade my Windows 10 Ultimate, your choice.

Aha! Funnily enough DL I've been sat applying updates to the Win 8 machine and then manually searching for more and up it has popped! Apparently my free upgrade is 'on the way'
There was also a crafty bit where they wanted an email address. Screw that.
Didn't you use an email Addy when you Registered Windows?

(01-09-2015, 07:25 AM)Bigglybobblyboo Wrote: There was also a crafty bit where they wanted an email address. Screw that.
Amazing BlackBerry Motion BBD-100-2. #WeAreBlackBerry Happy
Yes, it was Mrs Biggly's. She's not interested in getting anything from them.