UTB Forums
Telegram: a multi platform messaging alternative. - Printable Version

+- UTB Forums (https://utbblogs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: BlackBerry Smartphones (https://utbblogs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: BlackBerry Android Devices (https://utbblogs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: Telegram: a multi platform messaging alternative. (/showthread.php?tid=4073)

Telegram: a multi platform messaging alternative. - newcollector - 20-05-2017

My BBM contact list has shrunk remarkably in the last few years. One of the most active groups I was a member of switched from BBM to Telegram. While I remain a BlackBerrian at heart, there are some really nice features I find in Telegram.

First, like BBM it is cross platform, but unlike BBM it is also cross device. You can use a phone, a laptop/computer, or even a tablet. They all sync seamlessly.

Second, like BBM it is invite only. This eliminates the junk messages that sometimes plague other services.

Third, it is easy to use. You can easily add a document to share in the conversation for collaboration purposes. The same goes for a file, a contact, photos. I can see that this would be something that a business would utilize.

It has helped me already. I was in Bowling Green, KY about to give a speech and realized I had left it at home. A quick Telegram from my phone to my wife got her on my computer and she attached it to the conversation on the computer. I looked on my 10 inch tablet at the conversation and there it was.

You can in a conversation, make and share an audio and or a video recording. You can't do video calling yet, but you can make phone calls.

It is supposed to be a secure messaging service, though my research indicates that the depth of that security has not been fully verified. They certainly does not have BlackBerry's security reputation. My understanding is it is more secure than WhatsApp, but whether it is as secure as BBM is yet to be proved.

Is anyone using Telegram? I would be interested in knowing what you think of it.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

RE: Telegram: a multi platform messaging alternative. - DickLewis13 - 20-05-2017

Like so many others, if contacts go to Telegram, SEEYA, I will not drop BBM nor use anything else.

RE: Telegram: a multi platform messaging alternative. - aiharkness - 20-05-2017

I'm not using it either.  So far haven't had reason to even really look at it, but won't say it isn't in my future.  At this point the only thing I know is I won't spend my own money on Android or iOS.  If it is supported on whatever platform I end up using, then maybe.

(I'm also still using BBM, and I pay for the Enterprise service.  If I find a new platform after BB10 that supports BBM I will keep on that path.  But right now I see that path coming to an end for me.)

- Ira

RE: Telegram: a multi platform messaging alternative. - Tuinpad - 20-05-2017

Switched from BBM to Signal and never looked back

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

RE: Telegram: a multi platform messaging alternative. - DickLewis13 - 21-05-2017

Big difference outside of US. Never heard of Signal.

(20-05-2017, 10:55 PM)Tuinpad Wrote: Switched from BBM to Signal and never looked back

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

RE: Telegram: a multi platform messaging alternative. - aiharkness - 22-05-2017

(21-05-2017, 01:13 AM)DickLewis13 Wrote: Big difference outside of US. Never heard of Signal.

FYSA Signal is the messaging app by Open Whisper Systems, and it is the Open Whisper protocol that WhatsApp started using last year or thereabouts.

Just on the little I know, if I was using a smartphone platform that supported Signal and did not support BBM Enterprise, then I likely would prefer Signal over Telegram.  Again, that's just based on the little I know at this point.  But it may be moot at any rate as Signal is supported only on Android and iOS, so far as I know, and that is probably not going to change, I'm guessing.

- Ira