UTB Forums
Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? - Printable Version

+- UTB Forums (https://utbblogs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://utbblogs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://utbblogs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? (/showthread.php?tid=1922)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? - james pisano - 22-05-2015

Wondering how many of us use Facebook. Realize it's a privacy challenge, to keep your private data out of the wrong hands. You have to adjust your settings accordingly, don't play games, etc. Some people seem to hate it.

I don't love it, but I use it to keep in touch with some relatives and old friends that mostly live far away from me. I don't use it that often, maybe a few times/week.

Do you use it? How much? What for?

RE: Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? - DickLewis13 - 22-05-2015

Use FB very little. Play no games, privacy settings as high as possible. Only way I hear from family members that are far away.

RE: Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? - veeru789 - 22-05-2015

Same as you James. Don't like it but use it to stay in touch with old friends and family.

RE: Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? - pippimarried - 23-05-2015

Yeah. Family only. I wish I didn't have it.

Sent under the cloak of secrecy.

RE: Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? - james pisano - 23-05-2015

Someone BBM'd me last night and we went back and forth about this. He basically gave me the bottom line that any time your browser touches the facebook URL, you are screwed. He mentioned things like "browser finger printing," and "persistent cookies," that apparently defeat the cache deletion you might do whenever you close your browser.

I don't know what to think now. I like my privacy, but I also like Facebook a little.

RE: Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? - BB4tw - 23-05-2015

It's simple. Nothing is free. Anything you do will either cost you money, advertising, personal data, or a combination of the three. The only decision that needs to be made is if the cost of the trade is worth the service provided. To some it is, to others it isn't. It's really no different than shopping for any other item or service.

In the case of data collection, it needs to be disclosed what data is collected and how said data will be used and how long it will be kept. Collecting data without consent is not acceptable.

Most every company has a privacy policy that nobody reads. If they follow their own policy and you click through without reading, then you have no business complaining.

RE: Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? - BB4tw - 23-05-2015

To answer the question, I keep my FB privacy settings screwed down as tight as possible, play no games, and only have friends on my list of people that I actually know or knew once upon a time.

RE: Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? - sethr - 23-05-2015

Ditto. My kids insist, though I tell them they're giving things up by doing it. I want to see the pictures though.
Tightest screwdown I can do.

RE: Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? - james pisano - 23-05-2015

Good input BB4tw. No doubt,, "free" isn't so free. Frankly, I'd rather pay and know my privacy was intact.

Do You Use Facebook? How much? Why? - ivantwilliams - 26-05-2015

I just simply can't do it! Now, if there was a paid service to avoid ads, then maybe, just maybe...