UTB Forums
WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB - Printable Version

+- UTB Forums (https://utbblogs.com/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://utbblogs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://utbblogs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB (/showthread.php?tid=1918)

Pages: 1 2

WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB - james pisano - 21-05-2015

So I'm sitting having some coffee and reading a little news and UTB. Looked at my Playbook and Berry keyboard and my Classic sitting next to it, charging wirelessly and thought, "This would be a fun pic to share in the forums." So I got a pic with my Z30 and NFC'd it over to my Classic.

Then I noticed several other pics on my Z30 that I wanted on my Classic, so I multiselected them and hit "share" and then "NFC" and felt both devices vibrate and then got a message asking if I wanted to use WiFi Direct, so I said yes, and then it transferrerd the files! But my Z30 was not connected to WiFi! The WiFi was off! I guess this is obvious to everyone, but WTF!? That is cool! How did it do that? Do the devices establish a WiFi connection directly from one to another? If so, how did it work with one device not even on WiFi?

Anywho- I'm constantly amazed at what my Berries can do. The integrated sharing features are amazing. If you're trying to do something with your Berry, just assume it will work somehow, cause they've probably thought about it and baked it into the OS. Awesome!

RE: WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB - sethr - 21-05-2015

Do you think the Classic kind of hotspotted (uh oh. Coined a word. LOL) for the Z30?
Or BT? That's really a poor version of wifi.

RE: WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB - veeru789 - 21-05-2015

James, after the prompt it should have automatically turned on the WiFi. You probably missed it.

RE: WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB - james pisano - 21-05-2015

Veeru. If it did, it only turned it on momentarily. I guess that's the only explanation. Was crazy.

RE: WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB - james pisano - 21-05-2015

(21-05-2015, 09:42 AM)sethr Wrote: Do you think the Classic kind of hotspotted (uh oh. Coined a word. LOL) for the Z30?
Or BT? That's really a poor version of wifi.

Great word sethr. But the Z30's WiFi was not on and never came on as far as I could tell. Never saw the indicator.

RE: WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB - veeru789 - 22-05-2015

Could be a glitch. Maybe it was on but the symbol in quick settings was showing it as off.

RE: WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB - james pisano - 23-05-2015

Does it rely on the WiFi network? Meaning,, if the WiFi was off in my apartment, would it still transmit the information like Bluetooth? (Directly from one device to another) Or, does it rely on the two devices being connected to the same WiFi network?

RE: WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB - bartron - 27-05-2015

BB10 most likely turned the WiFi on for the transfer, and then turned it off when the transfer was completed.

With WiFi Direct, your Z30 connects directly to your Classic without going through the router. If either phone was connected to your router, then BB10 would disconnect from the router, and connect to the other BB10 phone.

So yes, you can use WiFi Direct even if the WiFi in your home is turned off.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

RE: WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB - BlackJack - 28-05-2015

Cool. Also glad you reminded me how easy it is to transfer pics between devices. If I need a pic of my classic I use my z30 then email it. Doh!

RE: WiFi Direct - Best Way to Read UTB - BlackJack - 28-05-2015

Oh and James there's a wire attached to your Classic that is "charging wirelessly" ;)