BBM protects us from security breaches, data mining, and many other intrusive unfriendlies. There is one thing that BBM cannot protect us from: poor etiquette. Etiquette are the rules upon which social interaction is based. BBM is a social platform, so it stands to reason that there are etiquette rules for BBM.
I’m not going to tell anyone how they can and cannot communicate between their BBM friends. My issue for the sake of this post is with random invites and strangers.
I keep my BBM pretty open. I enjoy using it to share UTB links, communicate with readers, and post to my public feed. I consider my BBM to be a tool for this site as well as a tool for my daily communication. However, access does not warrant consent. Just because my BBM pin is available, and I will accept any invite on a probationary basis, does not mean that gives the sender complete access to everything me.
That seems to be the trending thought among the people that have most recently added me. They seem to feel an entitlement to me. Some are more polite than others, but overall the entitlement persists. So, here are a few bits of etiquette to follow when adding people to BBM:
- No one is required to accept your invitation. Accept rejections and move on.
- If you send the invite, take up the responsibility to carry the conversation. You have no clue what that person was doing when they got the notification. So, respect their time and lead the convo.
- Never assume or presume that the other person has time to talk. The Delivered and Read notifications are fantastic, but there should never be an expected response time. People are busy.
- While Video and Voice are fantastic tools in BBM, never pressure anyone into accepting a call. Different people have different comfort levels and availability. You can request, but do not demand.
- We do not need to prove our gender. Catfishing is annoying, but demanding proof is equally so.
- Above all, speak kindly and respectfully.
With Channels, BBM is a great way to meet new people. But remember that they are people. They are not vessels for your amusement or entertainment. Have fun; make friends. Just be sure whatever shenanigans you find on BBM are found on mutual ground.