An AirPod explodes while in use.
Jason Colon was working out at his gym. Jason was listening to dance music to get himself moving. He was listening to that dance music through his spiffy Apple AirPods. Suddenly, one of the AirPods imitated an iPhone and went pop. Smoke began to blow out of the AirPod while it was in Jason’s ear.
Jason dropped the smoking earpiece on a piece of equipment and ran off to get help. By the time he returned, the device had fully popped.
“I don’t know what would’ve happened to my ear. But I’m sure since it hangs down, it could’ve been [my] ear lobe. My ear lobes could’ve been burnt,” stated Jason.
Well Jason, believe it or not, AirPods, when in use, are situated extremely close to your brain. Earlobe damage would have been the least of my worries.
All products that use Lithium Ion batteries have the risk of exploding should that battery become damaged. Let’s hope this was a one time issue with these earphones, since no one was hurt and explosions of this nature could be extremely dangerous.