After the first two parts in the series of Alternative Browsers for Android, there have been numerous requests for Opera Browser. So today we’re checking it out.
Opera Browser – Fast and Safe
At first I was a little hesitant to review this one. I had tried Opera Mini and was having issues with link buttons on some sites not displaying correctly. Some link buttons were displayed as an empty square and you couldn’t tell what button you were clicking. However, the full version of Opera seems much better.
Opera has over 100 Million downloads on the Google Play Store with a 4.3 Star rating. With that many downloads it is definitely one of the more popular browsers. It is supported well by the Developers with it updated regularly. It was last updated on 15 June 2016
Get the best mobile browser for Android. Opera is a fast browser that blocks ads and helps keep you safe on the web.
● Block ads: Don’t let mobile ads slow you down when you surf the web. Opera now has a built-in ad blocker to help you load pages faster and use your screen space for the content you’re interested in.
● Video compression Watch more videos on your mobile device, while using less data. Turn on video compression in the data-savings settings to prevent videos from stalling.
● Add to home screen: Add any website directly to your device’s home screen to access your favourite sites even faster. Pro tip: using web shortcuts instead of standalone apps can help your device save memory.
● Read comfortably on any screen: With Opera, you can force zoom on any page, making it easier to read. We even make sure the text fits nicely on your screen with automatic text wrap.
● Save data: Our data-savings mode, powered by Opera’s compression servers, helps you browse faster, even on slow or congested networks. Download more content and watch more video with less stalling – all while staying within your plan’s limits.
● Browse privately: Use private tabs to go incognito anywhere on the internet without leaving a trace on your device.
● Stay up to date: The Discover feature brings you the latest news, tech, sports and other content from world leading magazines and newspapers, right in the browser.
● Manage your tabs: The tab switcher uses less memory and makes it easier to switch between your tabs while you browse.
● Pull-to-refresh: Swipe down on any page to reload it.
● Search instantly, anywhere: Opera makes searching even simpler. Depending on your device, swipe up from the bottom edge in any app or long-press the home button to search the web with Opera. It’s a faster way to search the web.
● Organize your web: Speed Dial keeps the sites you love close at hand. Add your favourite pages to your Speed Dial or bookmarks simply by tapping the + symbol while you browse and pick your favourites.
As you can see from the pictures above, the user interface is very clean and simplistic. By tapping the “+” button next to the address bar, you can easily add page to Speed Dials, Add to Home Screen, Save for Offline or Add Bookmark.
Once you open the options menu by tapping the red “O” at bottom right, you can immediately see the data saved. Under this are 4 horizontal options – History, Search, Share and Power (close). Tapping on the history icon, you have three options that you can view – History, Speed Dials and a Discover page. (you can also select this directly by tapping the 8 square dots in the middle of the navigation bar at bottom).
Looking at the Discover Page below and you will see you are give a multitude of options to select as “feeds”. You can also narrow it down by selecting any of the categories individually.
The settings menu, while fairly basic, covers most of the settings you need.
Overall, Opera seems like a very good browser. It has a simple and clean UI, and is quite fast in loading pages. I found it quite good and recommend giving it a go. Download Opera Browser from the Google Play Store
Opera also make other apps and one that was just released is their VPN app called Opera Free VPN. This is the perfect app to compliment any browser.
Opera VPN blocks ad trackers and lets you change your virtual location. Unblock more content and access your favourite websites and apps from anywhere – completely free.
With Opera VPN, you get:
• One of the fastest, most reliable VPN services
• Unblocked access via your choice of five virtual locations (with more coming soon)
• The ability to determine Wi-Fi network security level, as well as connection encryption and protection from threats
• A built-in ad tracker blocker to stop advertisers from following you around the web
Opera VPN is one of the best and fastest ways to access more of your favourite online content for free. With super-fast VPN servers and other premium features included for free, Opera VPN is a smart choice for you.
You can download Opera Free VPN from the Google Play Store HERE.