Today is a big day for enterprise customers with
- BBOS devices operating on BES 5
- BlackBerry 10 smartphones with gold licenses on BES10 running EMM regulated Work Space mode
as BlackBerry has begun rolling out the first product from the eBBM Suite, BBM Protected.
Who is BBM Protected for?; according to Jeff Gadway, “BBM Protected has been designed for organizations with the need to protect corporate data at rest and in transit. These could be customers in regulated industries like financial services or government as well as highly security conscious organizations like law firms, or healthcare providers.”
What are the benefits to enterprises that meet the criteria above?
- BBM Protected is the only secure IM client to use a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic library.
- BBM Protected builds on the proven BlackBerry data security model for data at rest.
- BBM Protected uses 3 layers of security for data in transit to protect messages.
- BBM Protected takes advantage of the investment that customers have already made in BES; there is no new hardware to purchase, no new servers to install and no new management console to learn.
- BBM Protected allows end users to securely message other BBM Protected users outside their company, on different BES servers without the need for costly and complex federation. When two BBM Protected users are chatting, their messages are automatically encrypted at this higher level of encryption.
- BBM Protected is a single app for all chats – inside and outside the company. Users have one contact list and one chat list. They don’t need to install a separate IM app for work messaging.
- BBM Protected security happens in the background without limiting the end user’s ability to take advantage of all the consumer features that IM has to offer. Many other enterprise IM apps limit employees to only communicating with colleagues inside the company. This limits end users who want to message customers, partners, family and friends.
With all the recent reports about hacks and security breaches, BlackBerry is once again proving to enterprises that they are the gold standard in secure enterprise communication.
If your data and instant messaging communications need to be secure, then your choice is quite obvious.
A subsequent fall rollout will bring these features to enterprises using BlackBerry10 smartphones in Work/Personal Balance mode as well as those with iOS and Android secured by BES10.
You can read the full post at the INSIDE BlackBerry BUSINESS BLOG.