Well, personally, I was disappointed.
No sooner had the Great Lords of iPhonia sat down to tumultuous polite applause and the Tweeting had begun. Tweets like:
‘Whatsapp’s CEO Not Happy About Apple ‘Borrowing’ Features’
‘Apple’s new OS looks very familiar – it looks like BlackBerry 10!’
‘Apple to developers. We love you, but we’ll also take you down’
And my own personal favourite after they had the audacity to stand up there and go on about Apple security:
‘iOS8 Already hacked – DoulCi’
But, let’s take a step back. Remember, Apple have pretty much given up on new sales, they need upgrades – that’s their business plan now. And they slipped in the fact that iOS8 will make the iPhone 4 obsolete on impact.
But did iPhonians get what they wanted?
A few weeks ago in our post Apple Users Want A BlackBerry we looked at what they SAID they wanted. In their own words. So let’s revisit that list again and see if they got enough…
1) The ability to Select All in messages rather than go in and out of each one NO!
2) Unified Synergy-style messaging hub (Messages + FaceTime all in one app, with 3rd-party silos eventually). NO!
3) Actionable lock screen notifications YES!!!!
4) Real Multi Tasking NO!
5) A 3rd party keyboard cos the stock one isn’t very good (well, no need for us, the BB10 one is best in class) YES!!!
6) NFC NO!
7) An app that makes it clear what files are saved in the cloud and the amount of storage remaining. (Dropbox, Box and OneDrive) NO!
8) File Manager NO!
9) Notification LED NO!
10) Print to PDF NO!
11) Dark Theme (someone said the phone burns their eyeballs at night) Hmmm… not sure…
12) Ability to ‘Hide’ apps (Blackberry Style) well… NO!
13) Message, mail etc notifications in the status bar with a number in for how many unread (and they don’t go away until they are seen or deleted) NO!
14) Flash support (yes, they said it!) NO!
15) Ability to see what is driving battery usage NO!
So, of the 15 things THEY said they wanted, they got 2.
Is it enough?
Or since iOS9 will, I suspect, appear sometime in 2015 and by that time BlackBerry will be way out of sight, is it time for these guys to come #BackToBlack?
I think I’ll leave the last word to the lady who posted the Tweet of the night.
‘I think I’m over iPhone. I think I want a BlackBerry.’