In the last BBM update (available across other platforms too) BlackBerry added the gorgeousness that is BBM Glympse.
Glympse allows you to share your location, for a time period of your choosing, with another individual. After the time period is up, it self destructs.
Not only that, it allows you to ‘Re-Glympse’, which means that 2 people can track each other’s locations. And it is THAT FUNKY that it works seemlessly with BlackBerry, Android and iPhone Maps.
But, before we get on to the how, why would you bother?
Here’s a couple of real life examples:
1) I was running late for a meeting the other day with three of my colleagues due to traffic. I could have sat there and waited for them to call me every 5 minutes to find out where I was and how long I would be (we were meeting a supplier and the meeting couldn’t start without me so it would have been a bit embarrassing for them to not know where I was). I sent a Glympse to one of them, and instantly everyone knew where I was, the speed I was going and what traffic I had in front of me (thanks BlackBerry Maps!) so they knew where I was and how long I would be.
No need for panicky phone calls, no need for suspicions (come on, we’ve all been there when you are sat waiting!)
2) A supplier was on her way to us. She was on the industrial park but couldn’t find us. Thank goodness we’d seen her a few weeks before and got her to install BBM on her iPhone! We talked her through sending a Glympse and, since we were in the middle of BlackBerry phone training at the time with someone else and had a Z10 on a big screen, saw where she was and guided her in. She was with us in 2 minutes which previously would have taken forever in ‘what can you see in front of you’ conversations.
And the impressive thing was that when the Glympse came through, BBM knew she was close and zoomed in automatically on the map.
So, courtesy of Mr Jeff Gadway and Inside BlackBerry, whether in a vehicle or on foot, if you are going to meet someone, we would urge you to Glympse!
BBM 2.0 – 3 things you may not know about location sharing powered by Glympse
Recently, we launched BBM 2.0 and with it came a lot of new features, one of which was location sharing powered by Glympse.
With this new BBM feature, we wanted to make sure you had all the info you need to take full advantage of this great addition.
Here are three things you may not know about sharing your location in REAL TIME:
It’s Easy As 1, 2, 3
In just three clicks, you can be sharing your real-time location with any BBM contact you choose, for however long you wish:
- Within a BBM conversation, click the Paprclip
- Click on the Glympse location sharing button Glympse Icon (the G!)
- Set how long you’d like to share your location for and ‘Send’
BBM has always come with privacy features built in. It’s in our DNA. Location sharing is no different. You are always fully in control. You can set who sees you and for how long. Once the time expires, your location is private again.
It’s Available In Multi-Person Chats
Meeting up with a bunch of people you’ve been talking to in a multi-person chat and want to tell them you’re on your way? No worries. Just share your location once right within your BBM chat, and everyone will be able to see where you are. And don’t worry, as always, once the timer runs out, your location is private again.
And that’s it!
It’s an incredible addition to BBM and we would urge you to give it a go!
Souce: Inside BlackBerry
Have you ever Glympsed the future?