We’ve heard a few cases of the iPhone 6 exploding and burning users. A recurring theme was that the bendy phone probably, well, bent. And when it bends just enough, the battery that’s not meant to bend, blows off some steam. And fire. And molten lithium.
ABC7 out of New York reports about Erik Johnson, and iPhone 5c owner who’s phone exploded on him on Valentine’s day.
Erik had just arrived at his cousin’s wake when the phone spontaneously exploded in his pocket.
“I had the phone in my pocket, simple little gesture, bent over to get keys and all I heard was pop. Sssssh smoke coming out,” Johnson said. “And just like an instant burn, my leg just starts going on fire, try to get it out, can’t get it out. I was literally jumping up and down trying to get the phone out of my pocket, but I think the phone melted my pockets shut so I couldn’t get into it and I had to rip my pants off and throw the pants to the side. A couple of people actually said they could smell my body burning.”
Erik suffered second and third degree burns on his inner thigh and he had to spend 10 days in the hospital before he was finally able to come home. He is still walking with a limp, and is getting twice a day visits from a nurse to change his bandages.
And in case you were wondering, Erik states that he was using an Apple charger.
I wonder what kind of user error Apple will blame this on? Put it in his pocket wrong perhaps?