In the wake of the current unfolding drama that has seen intimate private photos it would seem other celebrities have rushed for cover – and who can blame them as the Daily Mail has reported a SECOND wave of photos and videos is circulating around the internet.
New wave of leaks target more celebrities as authorities prove unable to stop spread as it emerges naked photos may have been passed around online club for MONTHS
A new wave of ‘nude’ celebrity photos have been leaked online amid claims the graphic images may have been passed around an online club for months.
Indeed, the internet is awash with speculation about the source of the leak. According to one anonymous 4chan poster, the release of nude photographs of celebrities was the product of an ‘underground celeb n00d-trading ring’.
The poster claimed the ring had been in operation for months and posters would trade or sell the photos they retrieved between each other.
Another poster, who claims to have been involved, wrote on AnonIB that the hacking had been ‘several months’ in the making and the nude photos were the result of ‘several months of long and hard work by all involved.’
So, whilst we are left wondering where it will all end, there are many feeling vindicated in warnings they have been giving for ages on this subject as Reuters are reporting:
Celebrity Photo Breach Heightens Online Security Warnings
Celebrity representatives and security experts used the online posting of intimate photos of Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Lawrence and other female entertainers to sound new warnings on Tuesday about the dangers of storing data on the Internet.
Martin Garbus, a New York trial lawyer who over the years has represented actors Al Pacino, Sean Connery, Robert Redford and others, said worried clients had approached him after the apparent mass hacking over the weekend.
“Nothing is safe on the Internet, period,” he told Reuters. “Everything on your iPhone, whether it be phone calls, message texts, pictures, is all available.”
Apple Inc has said it is investigating reports that its iCloud, which stores data online rather than on a user’s device, had apparently been hacked.
“This is just one of a series of wake-up calls that people are ignoring,” said Chris Crowleigh, a cyber-security expert specializing in mobile devices at the SANS Institute.
“People just sort of implicitly accept the risk of storing their data on the cloud until they actually see something bad happen to someone they can relate to.”
Lawrence’s representative described the release of the photos as a “flagrant violation of privacy” and said the authorities have been contacted. A spokesman for the FBI said the agency is addressing the matter.
Celebrities took to Twitter to characterize the alleged hacking, purportedly targeting dozens of female actresses, models and athletes, as less of a privacy invasion than an act of sexual aggression.
“Remember, when you look at these pictures you are violating these women again and again. It’s not okay,” said actress Lena Dunham.
Garbus said he was not surprised by the hacking because he said he has seen it in the past.
“There are just so many different ways that one’s privacy can be invaded,” he added.
The point is that the longer this rumbles the greater the wake up call will be.
Remember, as we’ve been saying for a while now, it’s not JUST A PHONE.
Do yourself a favour.
Buy a BlackBerry.